Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

creepy see-through guppies

Featured Replies

just stumbled on these while browsing

See_thru_006.jpg

See_thru_035.jpg

and had to share in case people haven't seen them. They're gross and disturbing but i can't help looking too.

Interesting how you can see the unhatched fry in the female.

they look about as albino as you can get ! , you say you came about them while browing , I'm guessing while browing the internet , not your local pet shop. If so you need to give credit to the web site you got the pictures from.

  • Author

yes sorry, browsing the net. They'd be in my tank if i'd seen them in the shops lol.

Credit to designer-guppy.com for the pics then :)

Philip Shaddock was the guy who created them. Here's a snippet of what he has said about them on Guppy Designer.

"I have been creating a transparent guppy by crossing an albino blau X glass belly guppy. The homozygous albino blau fails in the production of black, red and yellow color. The glass belly guppy fails in the production of iridophores in most of the body, with the exception of the fins. The resulting guppy has visible internal organs and you can see the blood. I have to take a picture.

The new strain appears to be more delicate than normal guppies. I have a female that was very weak, and I regularly change the water. The young females have transparent bellies so you can see whether they are carrying eggs or young. So far all I have seen are eggs. So the single male must be infertile."

"you see the organs and the blood, especially around the gills where oxygen exchange is occuring. You clearly see the blood vessel traveling along the spine to the back of the body and the heart and brain. You can see food passing through their gut. And when they have a bacterial infection...like that weak female, you see the inflammation in the body. But the most useful aspect is that you can see the eggs and developing fry. That's why I think the two females I have have not been fertilized by the male. The eggs have not developed. Normally with glass belly pandas I can see the fry curled up and their black eyes. So it is easy to for me to set up a female who is about to drop. "

"Yes, the strain has proven to be more hardy and fertile than I expected. I guess I was just prejudiced to believe they would be fragile. The female shown is actually close to giving birth. But because the eyes have no black color, it is difficult to see that the fry are full grown. My first batch of fry are a month old and they eat like hogs.

They are going to be useful in my genetics studies because the major classes of color cells are affected. Interesting enough there appears to be some yellow color cells at the base of the peduncle and in the head. They should not be there. "

  • Author

thanks darkfur

I like the fins and tail on the female, they look like glass. Wish I had a rego for the site to see what else they've come up with.

it would be easy as he said to see if she was carrying eggs, had eaten today or was about to make a mess of the tank. very handy! :lol:

  • 1 month later...
I was looking at some of my Albinos today and thought this one was close to the ones above :D

DSC_9128.jpg

any albinos left? quite keen to get me hands on some tbh.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.