Possible to replace broken AR620T bottom glass ?

Dubbo

Thanks for the great idea !

Just called placemakers and bunnings none of them sell acrylic / perspex sheets, and I read up more about cutting perspex, doesn't seen to be my cup of tea lol. It will be available for free then in a few weeks if I cant find anyway to fix it easily :)

phone a glazier, they often do perspex & definately ask for offcuts as i think the 10mm sheet 2.4x1.2 is around $800. i have a Ar620T as a grow out tank & it has had a glass panel covering a crack in the base. the crack is toward the back & the covering piece is only covering about half the base.

these recent threads, are the first ive heard of them breaking. dont worry lynda, if yours breaks in such a way, ill personally call the supplier for you :D

Dubbo - your tank certainly can be repaired. I'd do exactly what living art said... also call a glazier and ask for prices etc...

Nah my didn't break until I try to do something with it.

It was leaking from the bottom, and since the frame was glued to the bottom glass I had to take that out to do a leak test, and during all this process it broke.

I am keen on giving livingart's method a try but without any power tools that might be abit difficult. I am gonna call around see if anyone cut glass to fit if not I am just gonna get a similar sized fishtank for $75 or something and mod the old filter to fit.

I don't like your chances of scoring and snapping perspex around a corner but I haven't tried it so who knows.. :)

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to get some tools :) My jig saw cost me $10 from the warehouse that is all you would need, maybe some clamps apart from that its easy, you could maybe even try and do it by hand with a coping saw for curves and hacksaw for straight bits..

Failing that I am sure you have a friend with tools?

to cut perspex on a table saw you need a blade that has teeth like paddles, alot like a blade that is used to cut melteca board. if you cut it with a wood cutting blade you will end up with a jagged or furry edge. jigsaw is best option if you want to do it yourself but it will be best for you if you take a cardboard template to a glazier & get them to do it.

i just cut a piece of 10mm acrylic to shape and glued it in

been like that for 6 months now

it was a tank someone threw out at the dump

i'm happy to take yours as well :wink:

you found a tank at the dump ? some people have money to chuck, lol. nice work.

I don't like your chances of scoring and snapping perspex around a corner but I haven't tried it so who knows.. :)

you're right - not a chance, but all is not lost - a local perspex supplier will either be able to cut it precisely or know who can. seriously - its an easy solution dubbo - i wouldn't be giving up so easily - im sure you will find someone who can do the cutting for you if you dont want to try yourself.

Just took off the bottom glass, called glazier to get a quote for normal glass was happywith the quote, but now found out the side panels and front don't align up properly so there will be a big gap unless I take the whole thing apart and try realign them... just gonna put it on $1 auction toward my next fishtank. Was looking to get one not so tall anyway. Thanks for all the advice guys.