Purigen Opinions Please

fishybiz

Haven't heard of Nitraban but there is Nitra Zorb. No looking at carbon options and an added benefit of Purigen (which is a replacement synthetic product and is also rechargeable) is removal of nitrates. Just wondered if anyone used it. From what I have read it is particularly useful in cichlid tanks where they are such voracious eaters and therefore more likely to create higher nitrates.

I realise that Allan and they are done, but when you have over 100 tanks to look after you always want to improve the quality of the display for your customers. Purigen sounds great and I was really looking for opinions on the product from people that had used it.

I was hoping to get some bags made as they are really expensive. Thought I would order one and then get something similar made. I have used Bio Chem Zorb which also makes the water really clear but can't be rejuvenated like the Purigen.

I was hoping to get some bags made as they are really expensive. Thought I would order one and then get something similar made. I have used Bio Chem Zorb which also makes the water really clear but can't be rejuvenated like the Purigen.

i used a very very fine mesh bag and the purigen still came out when you rejuvenated it

Purigen is without a doubt the best thing you could spend your money on with regards to your tanks

It will make your tanks absolute crystal clear plus will keep your Nitrates at a level which is barely testable

Plus its has a long life span

I have been using it for over 5 years and havent looked back

Some of the older stuff I am still using though I need to use more bleach then the recommended amount

I use mine in either the sealed bag or in a Fluidised bed Filter on my 1800 litre tanks

Make sure U use straight bleach and not one with a scent

Brad

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, excellent product. Mine lasted over 8 years before it finally began to dissolve when regenerated. It works a lot like activated carbon but you only need about 1/5th the amount to do the same job and it is easily and cheaply regenerated. Over 8 years I worked out the initial purchase price + the cost of the regeneration chemicals to be less than 2% of the cost of using activated carbon. It also works better than activated carbon. It claims to leave the micro-nutrients alone as well. I used it very successfully in a planted discus tank and anyone who saw that tank will tell you the plants looked great. You could also look across the 2.4m length of the tank and it was crystal clear. This stuff super-polishes the water so it sparkles - no aged yellow tinge...

I don't know how well it removes nitrate but expect any impact it has will be quite small and not worth the expense for the return. I always had a problem with not enough nitrate due to the plants.

Water changes are by far the best way to control excess nitrate if your tank is not heavily planted. If your tap-water is nitrate rich then the cheapest long-term option for nitrate free water is reverse osmosis.

I use pruigen to great effect, crystal clear tanks. As with others, I have using for a couple of years now. To me its cheating, when people come look at the tanks & comment on clear they are :lol:

oh, never had problems with water quality{touch wood} & I am not as regular with my water changes as I should be. Maybe I could get a test kit & run tests... *Brad, any chance of a deal on that :D

Frenchy :D