My new 5ft

Olly

I have finally got my new 5ft set up

It is 1.5m x 0.6m x 0.6m = 540L

It has 2 external canister filters on it - one 1200lph and one 1400lph

Gravel is red scoria, rocks are greywacke

I want a nice big piece of driftwood for the right hand side of the tank, haven't found what I want yet

Fish are:

2 oscars, 1 red and one red tiger

1 S. fryeri

1 G. surinamensis

1 bala shark

1 pleco

1 chocolate talking catfish

2 firemouths that will go in once they are big enough

Are there any other fish people would recommend to put in there? I really want a bichir of some sort

DSCF2665.jpg

DSCF2436.jpg

DSCF2667.jpg

DSCF2684.jpg

DSCF2699.jpg

lol nice looking tank man.. Where did you get that retro looking gravel from? And is it neutral?

If it wasn't for all the south americans it would make a great african tank :) Add more africans they look great in groups ;) haha Just kidding.. Is everyone getting along?

You should also try get some more G. surinamensis, they look great in groups

I would love a few more but can't afford more at $28 a fish at wetpets, and havn't seen any others for sale at all in 6 months. If you can help me PLEASE let me know :)

lol nice looking tank man.. Where did you get that retro looking gravel from? And is it neutral?

If it wasn't for all the south americans it would make a great african tank :) Add more africans they look great in groups ;) haha Just kidding.. Is everyone getting along?

What africans would you suggest? the south americans are staying :lol: the gravel is scoria which is neutral - as far as I know its made from silica I got it from Palmers for $14.95 for 20kg

I agree with the S.American theme.

do you like chocolate cichlids?

Chocolates look cool little but they get ugly when they older in my opinion

How dare you!!!

Oh how rude.

I am shattered

Shocked

Disapointed

Did you read what he said?

Ohhh my very Soul is mortally wounded

I cant have read right...but I must have... I think he said that...

Chocolates were not pretty?

Somebody Grab that boy and wash his filthy little mouth out with soap...the florally scented stuff that leaves a nasty after taste.

No on second thoughts dont do that cause obviously the only taste he has, is in his mouth, and we couldnt get rid of that

Oh and if anyone wants any chocolate babies see my thread as posted earlier.

:wink:

Navarre

lmao :lol: :lol:

maybe I need to see your chocolates Navarre, the only adult chocolates I have seen were butt ugly and just hid all the time.

A nice fish could probably look good, but I haven't seen one yet

Do you have any photos of yours? Maybe you can sway my opinion :)

would they fight with the oscars?

they get really nice colours. as kids they are brown and drab from what ive seen.

but adults get a good mix of colours and a huge head. i read a book that said they were placid- but people have told me that they were absolute nightmares as far as aggression goes. ideas?

*waits for davidR to say its not acually a surinamensis*

:LOL:

I'm not going to repeat myself every time someone says the s-word, if people want to take pet shop names at face value then thats up to them. :roll:

Olly, perhaps reading this might help answer your question; http://eartheaters.qldaf.com/index.php? ... rinamensis

I'm not going to repeat myself every time someone says the s-word, if people want to take pet shop names at face value then thats up to them. :roll:

Olly, perhaps reading this might help answer your question; http://eartheaters.qldaf.com/index.php? ... rinamensis

I'm fully open to learning what my fish really is

That link is helpful,

G. altifrons is probably what it is?

It's not G. brachybranchus as it has a white chin and it's lateral spot is much smaller than that

Having trouble posting pics here at the moment.

Hopefully when I get a computer set up at home and not from work that will resolve.

Think of a large Oscar with a blunt head. Hues of Red Green and Yellow with an ever apear/disapearing splodge and great big red eyes.

Think that you can hand feed and train em to come to the rattle of the food tin.

They are certainly not the most aggresive fish I have ever had and they pay no attention to tank mates what so ever...unless its business time. Then they are not so fond of other chocolates.

Which I cant understand is a couple of chocolates is never enuff...lol