White cloud mountain minnows

fins

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are lovely little fish and we sell lots of them and are always after them, most of the shops up in auckland sell them fast, they are cheep but you can sell a few 100 at a time so you can make some good money on them if you can breed lots.

I guess I will have a few 15 litre tanks with a pair in each. Filtration: Sponge filter, no heating nessesary.The tanks will be bare bottomed with java moss for the fish to spawn on. I will feed the fry micro worms. Does that sound about right?

yes leave the tank bare, but with a large bunch of fine leaved plants or similiar substitute provided for the depositing of the eggs, i suggest you have up to 3males and 6 females in each tank to maximise productivity. make sure you feed them with top qaulity food. white clouds breed more or less continuaslly on a daily basis, laying eggs in plant thickets, and neither eating the eggs nore there young, the fry should be found swimming near or at the surface among the plants etc and should be moved to a rearing tank. the fry are large enough to eat newly hatched brine shrimp.

When i used to breed these guys They didnt swim at the top when newly hatched the cling to the glass and all you could see was two little black dots.Dont know where you got they swim at the top coz mine never did that even when they were older

i dont know if you cant read mate or are just dyslexic but i said near or at the top 8) !

and got my info from when i used to breed them thanks :x !

you can give your advice and ill give mine :-? !

Jude,

WCCM are stricly a 'semi-topical' fish. According to my two axelrod books they have a range of 9-23 degrees C but ideal is 18-21. I think they will survive at higher temps but not very well... interestingly the LFS has a big sign about them being cold water fish so I suspect they are some people who have found this out the hard way. I think they are very cool fish though and keep mine with the gold fish... :P

• 4 weeks later...