getting rid of trumpet snails

A-town...

:evil: :evil: trumpet snails have invaded my planted tank whats the best way to get rid of them without using loaches tried that and they seem to eat the new shoots of the plants than the snails (both clown and skunk :roll: ) its a heavily planted tank with discusm ottos neons 3 fancy plecs etc. running low PH...

any help appreciated thanks

My Dad also has this problem. He has stopped feeding his fish so regulary now only feeds them every few days and only a small amount, also everynight before bed he scoops out the babies from the top and any big ones he can get from the bottom. He does have clowns that assist with his snail removal also. But maybe just cutting down feeding and scooping some out will gradually help?

Also he found that the snails traps didn't work so well but when he did use it he used cucumber, spirulina discs and courgette in it. :)

try a weak solution of salt and copper sulfate. u may want to remove any snails you want alive, cause itll kill the lot. but if you've got some real nice fish in there, i may not even risk that :cry:

you can try removing as many as you can manually, and then just keep killing them as you see them?

I had a similar problem after taking skunk loaches out of my tank - replaced them with chain loaches and the snail population is back under control... I tried the lettuce trick and also removing as many as possible after the lights were out. You'll never get all the young ones or the eggs for that matter.

But once the population was under control I didn't have too many problems with the trumpets in my planted tank - they seem to do a good job of turning over the substrate, but when there are too many you do see some damage to plants etc.

chain loaches are faaaar more friendly than the skunks and extremely social - not sure if adding some for a month or so would kill off all snails but you could try it. I wouldn't go back to skunks loaches now.

good luck

Important: if you use copper sulphate remove you clown loaches first.

Only way i've found to get rid of them is haul everything outta the tank, treat for at least 10mins in potassium permanganate (oxidiser)..it should be a light/medium purple colour, not dark purple. Basically just start again

If I remember correctly trumpet snails can cover the entrance of their shell so I'm not sure if chain loaches will be able to suck the little morsels out, however the chain loaches will hunt down any snails eggs and greedily eat them. Also I have had no problem with chains and plants so I reckon 4-6 chain loaches to take out the eggs and pick out any snails that you see.

I just got some Malaysian Trumpet Snails off TM, am I making a big mistake introducing them into my planted community tank?

Reading many forums, my understanding is as long as you don't overfeed, they are a good thing and don't disturb plants. I have 7 Dwarf Loaches too...

They can be good at turning over the substrate with their burrowing and preventing deadspots in there.

Do you want rid of the lot or just some? If keeping number down is your goal you can leave the room dark for about half an hour or so and then turn on the lights and the snails will be all over the glass and are quite easy to remove.

I've introduced them into my planted 130ltr tank and have never had them eating the live plants, only the dead or dying parts of them.