Candy Stripe Pleco, Peckoltia vittata

phoenix44

Today I got my new Candy Stripe Pleco, from Modern Angl and its such an awesome fish with such clear markings. However it does look slightly different to whats on planetcatfish.

I also noticed it is very fat.

DSC04244Small.jpg

DSC04245Small.jpg

DSC04247Small.jpg

it is a female, and if so is it gravid? he/she is pretty fat.

any help is much appreciated! :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great looking fish but you may be struggling to put it to a species (or L-number).

Apparently Peckoltia vittata is often confused with the clown pleco, Panaque maccus. You should be able to determine wether its a Peckoltia or a Panaque by looking at the teeth.

Peckoltias have roughly the same number of teeth on the upper and lower jaws. They are brush-shaped and roughly the same size.

Panaques have a small number of spoon-shaped teeth (ie. noticably wider at the end than the base) arranged in a V.

Look on the internet for pictures of the mouth as it should be relatively easy to tell.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for that flatfish :hail:

I shall have a look at the teeth and see if she is a panaque or a L015.

visually thought its still confusing as far as the pattern is concerned - its markings are far too distinct to be a clown, but perhaps this is just my observations, as ive never had a clown plec with markings like this :lol:

planetcatfish is officially the most confusing site on the internet. its search engine is legendary though!

Yeah I agree it looks different to a clown and the patterns do look sharp. Many Peckoltias, Panaques, and even some species of Hypancistrus do look remarkably similar. It may well be a Peckoltia. Check the teeth and you should get what genus it is. From there good luck. It may be worth posting images on Planet catfish and one of the pleco gods may be able to give you an id.

Anyway its a great looking pleco whatever it is.

yeah good luck nice plec i spent some time on planetcatfish but to no avail its not i vittata and thats all i can tell you apparently they came in as L134 which is leopard frog but it definetly aint one of those im somewhat miffed as to its origin at the moment but do think its a pekoltia of somesort

thanks mr.pleco! i havent had much luck either. i thought of L134 as well but isnt as bright as them, and the colours are the other way round...

I wish i could know for certain what it was.

there are a lot of random ones going around at the moment, just the other day i saw a Leporacanthicus heterodon L 172 and freaked and wanted to buy it but the dude wasn't willing to sell it :lol:

everything looks exactly the same!

so it must be a leopard frog plec? L134?

but on the main fish ID site, the L134 looks different =(

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/im ... ge_id=8165

that fish is listed as a L134 - but looks more like a butterfly plec - which ive also got. so now im even more confused.

the species gets darker with age apparently. perhaps this is the case?