Coldwater fish food

Lani

I feed my coldwater comets and sunset wcmm alternate feeds of BBS and flake food. But have you seen the 'unnatural' ingredients in the common flake food - including wheat and soy? Even spirulina flakes have these 'fillers' in them. Surely these are not natural to fish! So - does anyone know of a commercially available food without these 'fillers'.

I feed my coldwater comets and sunset wcmm alternate feeds of BBS and flake food. But have you seen the 'unnatural' ingredients in the common flake food - including wheat and soy? Even spirulina flakes have these 'fillers' in them. Surely these are not natural to fish! So - does anyone know of a commercially available food without these 'fillers'.

Are you aware that the digestive systems of animals breaks foods down into it's proteins and minerals? Which makes them highly adaptable so that the original source of those proteins and minerals is relatively unimportant compared to its composition?

Prepared foods are practically the natural diet of goldfish anyway, they've been domesticated for over a millenia. But the carp they're bred from do eat a lot of plant matter in the wild anyway.

As Ira said animals build what they need from building blocks. Proteins are a double helix of phosphate with amino acids hanging off and the arrangement of the amino acids determine what type of protein it is. Where or how this comes about doesn't realy matter so long as they get the building blocks. The things you and the hairy legged scott mention are vegetable matter anyway.

Okay - thanks for this alanmin4304 and Ira - it had been concerning me - at least they don't have milk powder from china included !

Oh aye - porridge is good - for some - I only have a kiwi accent and do spend time grubbing in the garden.