Other coldwater species

Gecko

Hi there, I'm fairly new to keeping fish but I'm looking into starting another coldwater tank but I haven't got the slightest clue as to what fish can handle coldwater.

I already know goldfish, minnows...etc can.

But is there actually any other species that can?

Unusual or common fish don't bother me, I'd just like some ideas.

Thank you.

You wont have to drive to find native fish. The river behind the High School would be a good place to look in Inglewood. Should be able to find some Bullies and a Koura (Native crayfish), that will get you started with a Native tank.

A net, a torch and not being scared to get your feet wet and you can find some fish.

There is another post today about restarting the Taranaki club, a native fish expedition is something that could be arranged as a club 'day' out, even if people dont want to keep them, catch and release is still fun.

Exotic coldwater fish are not common in NZ, most of them cant be imported because of the possibility of them getting loose in the wild.

Cheers

Ian

Oh wow! Thank you for that.

Since I'm really a local myself, or haven't been for very long, I don't know much about this area.

That was very helpful, I certainly would consider looking into the club.

Those sound very fun and it would be great find out more.

You all were very helpful.

There's also some in the stream that runs through Karo park. My parents live in Inglewood and Dad mentioned that he saw some bullies etc in the stream the other day. They are up in Rewa St so gives an idea of the area anyways.

They are not true coldwater fish though. I really object to swords and guppies being sold as cold water species when they are not. They can survive in the average modern home thanks to insulation and ambient room temperatures which are usually around 18C or higher.

It is not the temperature range I have a problem with, it is the definition of "cold water". They are semi-tropical and there is a difference.

Just because a fish can survive at lower temperatures does not mean it is ideal or best for the fish either.

Coldwater fish are ones that can live without a heater, through a NZ winter.

In my old house the kitchen taps would sometimes ice up in Winter, with a room temp down around 6 untill we got the fire going.

Sell some newbie a 'coldwater' guppy and it wont make it through the winter. A goldfish, white cloud minnow or native fish (True coldwater) just laugh at a cool morning like that.

Ian

While all of what Ian says is true, the big mind-change is summer: you need to be really careful over summer keeping the water pristine and having some sort of cooling, otherwise you risk death and disease from chronic stress or acute low oxygen.

It isn't hard, but it does take a bit of effort.

And you get to learn more about what is in the streams near you :)

Thank you and I agree with Ianab and Caryl.

Guppies won't make it through the winter unless they had a heater which really doesn't make them cold water tolerant.

The pet shop in New Plymouth told me that people even put tetras such neons in cold water.

Which I just find a little stupid to be honest.

But also like Stella said, you also got to think about the summer.

A tank will eventually heat up if you don't have any cooling and if you have them in a hot area.

But who am I to say, I was the one who asked. :lol:

• 2 months later...
It is not the temperature range I have a problem with, it is the definition of "cold water". They are semi-tropical and there is a difference.

Just because a fish can survive at lower temperatures does not mean it is ideal or best for the fish either.

I agree Caryl like the guy selling coldwater guppies in Christchurch. He bought them from a petshop as coldwater guppies.