Feeding slaters to fish?

lmsmith

I have given my fish plenty of slters, they love them! For my smaller fish I have had to pull them in half (yuk). Larger cichlids should have no problems with them.

Have also noticed they seem to be able to survive up to 8-9 hours under water before drowning, apparently this is because of the way they breathe, some type of gills.

I have given my fish plenty of slters, they love them! For my smaller fish I have had to pull them in half (yuk). Larger cichlids should have no problems with them.

Have also noticed they seem to be able to survive up to 8-9 hours under water before drowning, apparently this is because of the way they breathe, some type of gills.

They breathe through their bellies, as long as they're moist they can continue gas exchange to a certain extent. They usually die via osmosis rather than 'drowning'.

So, sounds like it should be fine to feed them?

Is there any reason why I can't feed slaters to my fish? I'm thinking about feeding some cichlids and puffers.

From the research I've done, I can't seem to find any reason why I can't, but I thought I'd ask all of you guys first.

they are a type of cruststaion (not correct spelling i know) so would be great for ur puffers yum yum nice and crunchy

Alright, so I collected about 200 of them, and popped about 5 in my puffer tank. I've never seen them move so fast, they gobbled them up, and I kept feeding until they got nice and fat (about 100 of them!). I fed the rest to my lionhead cichlids, who had a tougher time with the hard shells, but loved them too. So, there went my 200 slaters, I better go and get some more!

I'm going to set up some breeding boxes (I breed them for a 7th form biology project a few years ago, so know how). I'd be happy to do a walkthrough for those of you who don't know, so just post in here if you want me to, and I'll post it for you.

No deadline, particularly at the moment as I am heading overseas. If it misses one magazine it can go in the next!

Magazines go out in Feb, May, Aug and Nov and the cut-off dates are supposed to be Dec 31 (for Feb), March 31st (for May), June 30th (for Aug) and Sept 30th (for Nov)

I actually have the May magazine finished and ready to print. The house sitters will get them to NZ Post in the first week of May for me (as I will be somewhere near Inverness at that time and the bag is too heavy for me to take with me - and postage too dear!). The August magazine is due a couple of weeks after I return so I would like to get as much of it done before I go as possible so all articles are gratefully received ASAP (or whenever) :hail:

I would really love it if more of you wrote articles. You don't have to be a great speller or know your grammar as that is what an editor is for. Members like to read about what others have done in their tanks. In this case, it could be an article on what happened when you fed slaters to your fish, with accompanying clear, sharp, pics if possible. It could also include what the fish had been fed before, whether they ate other live foods or not, where you got the live food from etc.

Many will read it and think "Hmmm, I never thought of feeding slaters to the fish, we have heaps of them in the shed. I will give it a go!"

Sometimes a good article can be about something you did that went wrong, or didn't work. It can be just as helpful, if not more so, than if things had gone right. An explanation of what went wrong, and why, and what you would do differently next time can be very informative.

The magazine is BY hobbyists, FOR hobbyists. :bounce:

Anyone who writes an article, but is not an FNZAS member (ie, does not belong to an affiliated club) gets a free copy of the magazine in which their article is published :bow::wink:

My email is caryl at simtronics dot co dot nz 8)

If you have photos, please send them full size as I often have to crop or resize when I get them so starting with the full size means less quality loss. I have broadband.