reptile research: who will paticipate

henward

I think its a good thing. Especially as its independant from MAF and DOC, and she has her own reptiles so knows the issues around difficulties with importation etc. The more knowledge gained the better I say :D Also its confidential and any reptiles discovered with any disease wont be 'reported' or 'removed' or anything, just be part of the confidential study. :D

where did you get the information that "she has her own reptiles"?

we had scores of redears and unhatched eggs etc tested fro salmonella a few years back and all come negative.Just another person to know whos got what and where.I could see the benefits of this study to the hobby in general but doubt if it will ever translate in terms of new species or more bloodlines for importation.This sounds like the same chick that I agreed to let test my animals but never ever heard back from?

where did you get the information that "she has her own reptiles"?

quote]

Cos I emailed her and asked about outcomes if reptile was found diseased... :o

Her reply was.........."NO, my intention is definately not to whisk away anyone's pets (as that would include my own!) thats why confidentiality is important"...etc etc...

....dealt mainly with pet shops, zoos and breeders in the past .... looking at private owners as well this time around..........etc :)

I think it is a great idea. Better to have factual information on diseases than be told years ago that turtles were prohibeted imports because they can carry salmonella when half the animals on earth can. That way if the powers want to ban an animal they will have to front up with real reasons. If something is going to destroy the native bird population in short time if it escapes then that is good reason rather than the bumpf we are getting at present. I am in--free knowledge is always a good thing.

I think it is a great idea. Better to have factual information on diseases than be told years ago that turtles were prohibeted imports because they can carry salmonella when half the animals on earth can. That way if the powers want to ban an animal they will have to front up with real reasons. If something is going to destroy the native bird population in short time if it escapes then that is good reason rather than the bumpf we are getting at present. I am in--free knowledge is always a good thing.

:hail:

probably more chance of something coming in on starlings, dotterel etc

i agree

i think confdentiality is a must

ithink that this must be guaranteed

but how?

maybe these guys are moles?

to get into peoples privte collections perhaps

but would benefit the hobby if it is legit!

i mean we could start importing all sorts

maybe even komodo dragons:D

my son is doing zoology at massey and has checked this out for me

the lady seems legit from that end

just some personal thoughts on the topic

have had our reps for a few years now and i have picked up no diseases off them

that doesn't mean they are not carrying something though

i personally would like to know what diseases they do carry as many are treatable

to have this done professionally will cost a lot of money in lab time

the animals i have are readily available in nz and have been here for awhile

and related to other peoples reps

cross contamination in your own collection can happen very easily

one of the facts used to have the green iguana declared a new organism

was that they were carrying mount pleasant salmonella and this was not found in nz previously

but was present in a couple of collections in the states

this suggested that these lizards were related to these collections and probably smuggled

a few weeks after having them declared a new organism and removed from peoples collections

an application was put to erma to have mount pleasant salmonella removed as a new organism

as it had been in nz for a few years

if this is a smokescreen for biosecurity etc and i lose my collection

then there will be legal avenues to pursue

the reptile hobby in nz is fragmented, and shrouded in secrecy as people are worried about

having animals confiscated or stolen

sadly the recent actions of authorities in the green iguana case, the theft of the day geckos

from hamilton zoo and the high prices of tortoises on that site

have only added to peoples protection of the rarer reps they have and distrust of people viewing their collections

just some personal thoughts on the topic

I agree 100%

Its one thing and its nice to have reptiles that is a revenue generator, but its another to have it ridiculously priced like that where theft is viable for them.

I reckon this study will also be good, if its legit.

this will make sure that maf will not confiscate for no reason at all.

but then again , they can do it anyways even with no valid reason

Hello, the person in question here. Thanks for the interesting discussion points and insights.

I would like to confirm that my priority is to obtain my uni degree, not confiscate anyone's collection; nor am I a MAF mole.

As the Salmonella swabs have a short shelf life, I try to collect a lot of them at a time and quickly send them to the lab, as this is more cost-effective. Therefore it is highly probable that I am the "same chick" that repto is referring to. If you have previously agreed to participate, and I have not contacted you, that means I was probably unable to fit you in on my last big sample collection trip (March/April 2008) and/or did not want to waste your time by taking samples that I could not guarantee would be processed in time. If you are still keen, let me know. If not, no worries.

A scientific study providing a baseline of what pathogens are present within the exotic reptile population in NZ may help to prevent something like the "iguana fiasco" from happening again. For those of you that are uncomfortable with this study, simply disregard the participation invite. For those of you who have been in touch, I look forward to meeting you and providing you with some health information regarding your exotic reptiles free of charge.

Sincerely,

Heidy Kikillus

-------------------------------

PhD Candidate, Ecology and Biodiversity

Victoria University of Wellington

School of Biological Sciences

P.O. Box 600

Wellington 6140

New Zealand

[email protected]

Phone: +64 4 463 5233 x8011

Mobile: +64 0210 236 1197

Fax: +64 4 463 5331

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All the turtles were swabbed quickly and no problems....except a couple of snakenecks who were not sticking their tails out for anyone! :D

Thanks for the visit Heidy and also the loan of the reptile book. Fascinating pictures!!! :o Good luck with getting your degree and I look forward to getting the swab results back.