Best place to get Hosing for canister filters?

Dixon1990

cheap stuff might be worse at twisting....

Depending on the fittings etc, I wonder if proper garden hose would be more effective?

Mine (from bunnings) twists and drives me mad :evil: the filter with the 'proper' eheim hose (secondhand) has never twisted or collapsed. Probably the best long-term option but more expensive.

Get some of the cheap black irrigation fittings to put any bends you need in. The cheaper hose won't kink unless you're trying to twist it at too much of an angle.

Though, I haven't found the stuff I've used to kink unless I'm being ridiculous with it.

The more elbows the slower the water can get through it (more resistance)

I have always been gentle with my problem hoses, aware of the issues, but they kink anyway. They are even supported on hooks.

By my calculations elbows flow 10X better than a kink.:P

In the past i have used fuel hose on some filters, it has hard plastic ribbing in so you can't kink it. Still bends enough though.

Otherwise just add some elbows.

blackwood paykels is where i got the tube from, they have a huge range of different types.

If you go garden hose don't go for the cheap one.

In 6 months with twice weekly water changes the inner of the hose I purchased detached from the outer and stuck together severely restricting the water flow - actually stopping it all together. This time spent more money and no kinks, no slowing of water flow.

• 1 month later...

If you do decide to use garden hose make sure that it is "drink safe". Not all hoses are treated to make them non-toxic and you might cause your fish some unneeded stress for a couple of dollars saved.

I have just got some clear tubing from the fish shop and it was under $6 per meter. I am happy to pay a bit more to know that all my fish are happy and not being slowly poisoned.

Track down some flexiable conduit(sp) hose from M10 or Bunnings. It is the same stuff theat fluval use for there filters but will be white instead or grey. Works a treat and is nice and flexi with out kinking

I have to say, I really like the new fluval hosing - much better than the oldbrown stuff (or eheims green) they used to use. I just scored a 205 filter with the fish tank i bought on that auction place - blinding deal.

Anyway, the point - definitely go for the flexible conduit style. :D:D:D