Best ways to get rid of Pesky duckweed?

Dixon1990

So i stupidly introduced it to my tanks lst year, and am forever scooping it out.

So what do you guys do to get rid of it? I was considering taking all my good plants out and adding the smallest silver dollars i could find but went to do it only to find my swords have finally grown strong roots and do not want to disturb them.

When I made the Classic Duckweed Error :roll: I ended up taking the lids off the tank, trimming all the other plants so none of them were near the surface, and literally scooping out the weed until every last bit of it was gone! I just used a net, and threw all the duckweed out the nearest open window onto the garden! :lol:

In some ways it's a very pretty plant and I wouldn't mind if I could just maintain a few square cm of it, but i have never seen anything grow so fast in my tank!

When I made the Classic Duckweed Error :roll: I ended up taking the lids off the tank, trimming all the other plants so none of them were near the surface, and literally scooping out the weed until every last bit of it was gone! I just used a net, and threw all the duckweed out the nearest open window onto the garden! :lol:

Yep i did the same thing except it went in my silver dollars tank.

I feel you frustration Dixon.

I scoop it out and throw it on the lawn.

Surface agitaion slows it down, but that defeats my co2 injection.

Also scooping it out is a pain as I end up scooping up lots of baby guppies that a magically attracted to anything I put in the water.

great plant, high protein, high nutrient user - perfect greens for turtles, apple snails some fish (generally large), goldfish eat it especially if you forget to feed them :oops:

used in sewage treatment overseas - perfect for turtle ponds uses nutrient until eaten - perfect for baby turtles its the only greens ive ever seen them eat at a young age

to answer your question, some fish, applesnails etc will clean up for you otherwise net it out :o mission on unfortunately