Snails

griff

Hello,

When I established my pond a few months back, I was given 4 snails. Now I have loads and loads. They are about as big as your fingernail and brown/green in colour. I heard they were good for cleaning algae off surfaces. I don't have a latin name for them, I'm afraid.

Recently I noticed that the surface of many plants - underside of leaves and stems - have 'deposits' of clear jelly-like substance with what look like eggs embeded in it.

At first I thought they might be goldfish eggs, but then I remembered that goldfish eggs have a dark spot in the centre of them if they are fertile. None of these deposits have a dark spot - they are all clear/transculent.

Are these deposits of snail eggs? (I'm going to be over-run if they are!).

Does a surfeit of snails in a pond have a deleterious affect? The pond is filtered and about 5,500 litres. I have some goldfish and some plants, all of which seem to be currently thriving - have just noticed my first fry!!

Cheers.

Does a surfeit of snails in a pond have a deleterious affect?

Oh you MUST post more frequently! I love imaginative language :bounce:

Remember all animals have many more offspring than can possibly grow to adulthood (am up to that page of The Origin of Species at the moment!). Survival of the fittest as well as eggs/baskets and whatnot.

They are definitely not a problem in a pond. Mostly people complain about them in tanks as they find them aesthtically displeasing, but in a pond you won't notice them.

I love snails, aquatic and terrestrial!

Oh you MUST post more frequently! I love imaginative language :bounce:

Thanks for the compliment, Stella. Most people just think I'm pompous but I think that the Englsih language is just the most marvellous thing?!

I guess when the pond has more snails than it can cope with, some kind of balance will occur.

Cheers.

I enjoy proper English too :wink:

What size is the pond? Snails, on the whole, will have a beneficial effect in there.

Thanks.

The pond is around 5,500 litres- 400mm deep and filtered. So far I have some plants, 11 fish that can be easily seen due to thier size, loads of snails and, an as yet, inderminate number of fry, about which i'm very excited!!

(I need to work out how to embed a photo of my pond into an email. I had a look but can't see where the guidance notes are for this on the site. Any one know where to look?).

Cheers.