breeding fighting fish

fishbreeder

i have heard lots of confliting advice about breeding fighters, ive been told that i must have two tank and remove female and then remove male once babies are free swimming. i have also heard i can leave the male with the babies and he will be fine. i have also heard that i can get a floating cage (with no holes) and float it in the tank as a breeding area and fry hatchery and growing tank. ive also heard that i can just have 3 females and one male in a tank and leave them to it and they will breed anyway. ive been told not to put other fish with them but others said as long as they are not aggressive fish its fine.

can people help me out. i would love to breed them, but dont want to go into a HUGE setup expensive costs. i want to have these fish coz they are pretty adn im tired of plain fish. i thought it would be awesome for the kids to watch, them hatch etc.

thanks

dominique

You will need more than one tank, at least two, and depending on the size of the spawn you can get up to 500 young fighters. I have had 250-300 on several occasions but not recently.

Depending on the number of males you get, once they get bigger and start to fight you will need to house them individually. Sometimes you can keep them together until they are big enough to sell or give to others but more often than not once they reach about 3 months old you will need to separate them, each into their own container.

You can have just one male and one female and if they are put back in a heavily planted tank of a reasonable size after spawning the female will most probably be okay. If the male continues to annoy her you will have to split them as well.

It all depends on the nature of the fish you have and each one is definately not the same.

If you have more than one female in with a male they will still spawn but the young will not survive.

Look at sites like www.bcbetta.com as I have found them to be spot on with their advice.

Be warned, raising fighters is very very time consuming (the containers need to be cleaned regularly) requires a large amount of space and money as the tanks either have to be heated or the individual containers kept in a warm enough room.

PM me with any other questions if you like.

Heres the pics you asked for.

The containers (drink bottles) I keep the males in with holes for water circulation.

jar.jpg

In the tank

malesjarred.jpg

The whole tank pic

bigtank.jpg

My growout tanks

tanks.jpg

I also have about 7 other tanks from 100 litres down to about 11 litres.

Hope these help

fishbreeder I am pleased you came here, you did not seem to take on board what I told you (at the other place you asked the same question) that you will need more than one small/med tank if you want to breed fighters and also have neons etc. babies need space and water quality to grow and of course good food. Good luck with your setup.

julie, im just having fighters. using my other small tank to breed babies in, otherwise eggs will get lost in stones. and adodge has given me some brilliant ideas for tanks and setups. a great help. hubby wants to fill caravan with tanks and fighting fish, he wasnt keen on me breeding till he saw how LOVELY the males are and now is in love with them also. LOL.

thanks

I don't have any set up at the moment. I use a small tank - about 15 litres, and fill it to 6 inches deep. You can use any sized tank but a smaller one keeps the female closer to the male. A heater turned up to 28-30 degrees. I add a polystyrene or plastic lid and tape it to the corner to hold the bubble nest if the male wants to use it and a plant to float in the top so the female can hide if she wants.

I use another drink bottle with top and bottom cut off to hold the female when I add her.