Hillstream loach questions?

axolotl-danio

Hey I have a spare 60cmL by 30cmW by 30cmH aquarium and i would like to get some hillstream loaches for it.

1. is the tank big enough?

2. does the flow just have to go in one direction with the powerhead intake at one end and the output at the other or can I just have one pump at one end and have a whirlpool effect?

3. What temperature should it be?

4. How many litres per hour should the pump do?

5. is sand an ok substrate if I have some flat rocks on top of it?

and any other info would be helpful thanks. :D :bounce:

The whirlpool effect will happen anyway, having the inlet at the other end just makes it slightly less.

It kinda winds up with different levels of current at different areas, some fast, some slow, some left, some right, allows the fish to choose the level of current they want.

I still think a two-foot tank is a bit small to do it properly, but it is definitely do-able, just a bit more swirly.

As I said in the other thread, turnover of 16-20 times total volume per hour is recommended.

Sand might get blown about a bit. Though I haven't tried it.

Have you taken a look at http://www.loaches.com/articles they have some excellent articles.

The main reason for the high flow is to have highly oxygenated water, you need to have disturbance on the surface of the water to drive off the CO2 and help the O2 dissolve.

I've also found that the imported hillstream loaches can be sensitive to nitrates, so water changes are really important, even more so in a 2ft tank.

And I wouldn't worry about them escaping.

Personally I would prefer a three foot tank as a minimum size; but I like big tanks and consider 3ft to be small. I'm also not sure about sand, I use 3-5mm brightstone with large river worn rocks for my substrate.

I have a 2ft tank with these fish, it has a UGF down one end with Crypts in pots and large rocks on top, and a 400lph pump with the air line jammed up the bottom of it pointing down the length of the tank,it looks like it has a fine bubble wall across the back of it.

The loaches like to sit on the log right in front of the pump and get their whiskers blasted by the bubbles.

Your setup is 54 litres if filled to the brim - I would consider it overkill, all you want to do is make sure the water gets oxygenated very well.

And if you had sand, it think you would end up with a sandstorm and skinless Hillstream loaches!!

Did you check out the link that Purplecatfish posted?

so if the tank holds about 50 litres (rounding down but that is still an over estimate because you won't fill it that full)

(pump)L/hr divided by (tank volume)lt = total volume turnover per hour

2400l/hr divided by 50lt = 48 total volume turnover per hour

Now the guideline I gave you was minimum 16-20 total volume turnover per hour.

That is doubling or tripling the guideline. The guideline is just a minimum, of course you can go higher than that, but you haven't kept these fish before, you haven't tried a fast-flowing tank before.

Obviously 48 times turnover is going to be stupidly fast, and you are wanting to do this in a rather small tank.... did you do the calculations yourself or just keep asking until someone else did them for you? :roll: :roll:

And a pump that strong will put out a LOT of heat into a small volume of water, potentially raising the temp over what the loaches want, decreasing the dissolved oxygen and stressing the fish.

Sure it is cheaper but in my opinion it will be far too strong and carries a lot of risk, which is ultimately more expensive (if dollars are all you count in).

And a changing-direction pump is what you want for marine, not freshwater. These fish are used to water flowing at roughly the same speed in the same direction, a wash effect will screw them up.

Ok i will look around for a slower pump. I did do the calculations but i have never really dealt with powerheads before so i was not really sure what the flow would look like. Do you think a 1000 LPH would be a better option as that's 20 times an hour? Would that heat the water too much? Also is it ok if the pump just has a narrow stream or should i have a spray bar?

Thanks everybody :D :bounce:

And a pump that strong will put out a LOT of heat into a small volume of water, potentially raising the temp over what the loaches want, decreasing the dissolved oxygen and stressing the fish.

How much is 8 watts going to heat the water? Not much at all. Certainly not enough to be considered a LOT of heat. They have a very wide, relatively low speed flow.

Compare the specs of a seio M620 to say a via aqua 1300 powerhead.

Sieo outlet area about 12cm, flow 2400 lph power draw 8 watts.

VA1300 outlet 4cm, flow 1100 lph, power draw 15 watts.

So, flow speed from the seio is twice the volume through 3 times the area(So a lot slower) and drawing half the power.

I've filled up my sink with 10 liters of water(About all it will fit) and put my Seio M820 in it which is 3200lph. Looks like scaled up to 5 times the volume it would probably give a pretty reasonable amount of flow for current loving fish. Certainly slower flows than anything but lazy slow flowing stream. Current looks to be (in the sink) about 6-9 inches per second which is in the region of half a mile per hour. so probably a fraction of that in 5 times the volume.

I'm considering throwing it in my SA cichlid tank which at the moment already has something around 5000 lph turnover in 400L.:)

Nope it doesn't change direction on its own. No need in freshwater really, especially in this case when you're kind of trying to replicate a river. Worst case if it is too much flow you could rubber band a bit of filter wool or something over the intakes it would decrease the flow AND give you more filtration.

I also agree that the pump would be ok, large opening where the water comes out of the pump.

When i had one of the rio's in my tank i found it worked best when turned down a bit, at full blast the impellor jumped a bit.

Not a problem with all i though.