Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Plant

Featured Replies

I am just wondering how to grow water plants? It's quite expensive to buy plants from the Pet shop and my gold fish just wanna eat them as salad...

i am thinking whether it's possible to grow your own? just like vegetable....

sure is. chuck some out doors and then youll struggle to give it away :lol:

do you have the right lighting?

and it is entirely possible to have a very well planted goldfish tank. i have done it in the past before - you just need the right plants.

perhaps you could request this thread be moved to the aquatic plants section so plant braniacs like alanmin can see and reply. his advise is spot on.

I get oxygen weed from the local river to feed to my turtles and suggest you do the same. You can grow it in a pond but it usually gets covered in algae. When I used to supply the shops years ago it came from an area which was very cold water (spring fed) and about 5 foot deep so it was free of algae. Taking it from the river is a lot easier.

The last lot I got for the breeding ponds I then planted in the goldfish pond. It is still in there growing. You do better with it in flowing water though.

I found that taking weed from the river next to Western Springs and putting it into a small tank with a couple of guppys, the weed grows well enough that I am able to harvest enough to keep my comets in salad and not have to go fishing in the river every month for more weed. The only problem I have found is that the weed is alive with snails, but comets eat anything.

I've read suggestions that oxygen weed id good for spawning. I've planted some small pieces in my 5,500 litre, filtered pond but they have failed to grow, although they seem to still be alive. Does it need to be anchored or planted? I can get some more from local water-ways - perhaps I need some bigger pieces to start with? I thought it would grow very easily, and it doesn't seem to have.

Having had a number of attractive and expensive plants demolished by the fish, I'm looking for more hardy (and less expensive) alternatives!

Is the ideal ph level for most cold water plants around 7 ? Does ph impact significantly on plant growth?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I found that anchoring it makes it rot, it doesn't like being clumped together.In time it will anchor itself but it tends to be weak.The weed itself is strong and the goldfish don't really maul it too much.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.