Mollies, just ID

rox

Hi, I am new to Mollys, became enthralled after Tracy/Trout took us along to the live bearers show in Wainui and then got me my first Dalmations :D When we went to the LFS I found some more, these are a lot bigger than the ones I already have and the colouring is unlike others I have seen in the shops, they are a little more yellow than solid orange shown in the photo, with blue glints in the fins and tail, nearly as big as our dwarf neon Rainbow. The female is a lot less coloured than the male I was very lucky to get this perfect photo of the pair of them, first up. Does anyone have the offical name for me or any other info?

Mollys.jpg

Does anyway know what color I should call these, fin type etc. Bought from the LFS and the male is already nearly 7cm long, I am thinking I will need to keep them separate from my Dalmation and White Mollies cos I expect they wld breed with all of their own kind? Any words of wisdom would be kindly appreciated.

Hey Rox nice mollies I am after some so let me know when you have some babies from a pure line..

I have no idea what colour to call these ones, but if you have pure lines then keep them separate as they will cross breed and ruin your other strains.. Did you guys have white sailfin mollies as well?

Hi Ryan, at Something Fishy, to tell the truth I have no idea, these were the only fish I could SEE! I have little pure whites from Dalmation lines but I have tanks and big plans for my little live bearers. I would love somebody who "knows" to help me identify these guys better. And hey I got some gold ribbon fin Guppys from Palmy, when we were there last. How is your fish room coming along, and family :D

Hey Dixon thanks. Their under bellies are silver/grey. Will be really interesting to see if they breed true, she is gravid but was in a tank with others, I didn't even see what they were or if they were males or females to be honest. So any ideas on approx how old they wld be? All info is great for me.

Most mollies are Poecilia sphenops. The different colours are just morphs of the same species. You can also get lyre tailed versions.

There are also sailfin mollies P velifera.

Realy?

The picture molly looks more like one of the sailfins to me or a hybrid atleast, Most mollies these days are hybrids As far as i know

Hey Rox fishroom and family are good.. Have got the fishroom pretty well setup at the moment just getting a few more things sorted you guys will have to call through sometime..

Would like to see some pics of the guppies too where on earth did you get a pure strain of guppies from in Palmy?

I am after some descent mollies as well so hopefully your breeding goes well :)

Original sailfin mollys were Poecilia velifera (Yucatan sailfin molly) http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Poeci ... lz=1I7DVXA

Wow thanks so much, they look amazingly similar to the link at wikipedia, still a little lighter and less colour on the belly (as seen in my photo) but yes thats the finage and blue colouring to an absolute tee :D . Am I lucking or what, they are truly beautiful fish. Now I am thinking that they are probably near to full size?

Thanks for all the help I am really looking forward to having these guys and offspring in a display tank but thats in the future... Was wondering tho, if we got these from our LFS, did anyone else see the same at theirs?? And another question, are we likely to see them again?