Sick Australes?

I have a tank of baby (the biggest is about 1cm now) Australes. I've been feeding bbs and yesterday I noticed a couple of the bigger ones are swimming weird and sort of either sitting on the bottom or floating around the tank? And they don't seem as active? Should I be worried or is this normal? I haven't lost any of them so maybe this is just the weaker ones?

live bbs slowly die and need to be syponed out twice a day.

decap rots faster and needs to be syponed out 4 or 5 times a day

with mop spawners I do a 90% water change twice a day

Australe are very hardy and I have never had the problems you describe

I really need help. I took 2 out that were really bad but later I found some more that were floating around :cry::cry: . I done a huge water change and then fed them. I don't know what to do? Do I need to add salt in the tank or something? It looks like only the males are doing this, then I thought they were fighting but it's bigger fish that are dying/floating. PLEASE HELP

Yeah it sounds like your water quality is/was out of wack.

You may have a bacterial problem caused by a low ph as Barrie said.

This may be cause by your filter not working properly > Biotechnology.

Do you have an ammonia and nitrite test kit to test your water( both are acidic).

When spawning non-annuals I place a small chip of lime stone in the water container with the eggs to prevent a ph spike and this very thing happening when the fry hatch and the egg shells rot.

If your filter is not doing the job a water change may fix the problem only temporally, keep doing small water changes often.

If your fry health improves you will know this was the likely problem.

I done a water change and fed them and they seem to have come right for now. It's probably something to do with water. I have a test kit here. So the ph should be around 7, what else do I need to check for?

my ph is about 8 or more (I've never seen it so high). I don't have peat so I'll put some driftwood in (they've started floating around again :-? :x:cry: ). Can I do another water change and put water from a different tank in that's not got a high ph???

The glass did have a whitey stringy sort of stuff on it. Thinking about it the problem only started when I fed LIVE bbs once so maybe I over fed them and that caused a problem? (I usually only feed them frozen)

young fry really don't need much food at all and any extra food rots really quick.

The combination of feeding small amounts of food a couple of times a day and small water changes should help the problem.

Also adding snails and some plant material will also help.

None of my tanks have filters at all and water is crystal clear, they only go into filtered tanks once they get to about 10mm, not just killis but any fry i have.

I am the same as TM. I raise fry in bare tanks with no filters until they are up to sexable size. I feed bbs live and microwrm and have no trouble. I siphon off exxcess food and water change infrequently. A few snails help to clean the waste off the bottom as they recycle it into easier to syphon parcels. Way way too much food I would think.

When breeding fish it is important to (a degree) to understand the water you use.

Hutt river water is very low in buffers. This means if excess pollution seen and unseen is in your small breeding/grow out tank it will become very acidic quickly.

This is why removing such waste is important combined with little water changes and often - to prevent ph swings.

Then you get comments like alanmin said and you must remember what works for others may not work for you.

You must find what is achievable and what is not to succeed.

I had 5 containers of Fundulopanchax fry all doing just fine, then one morning all of the fry from 1 container had expired over night. There was nothing special about this container of fry compared to the others, now I have 4.

I definatly over feed but can get away with it simply because of the amount of water changes that I do

Most that have seen my Killis will tell you they are bigger than others because of the way I do feed but sometimes at the weekend I can do 4 water changes per day....why?.... because I want to feed plenty

I put the driftwood in and some java fern and the ph is down to 7.4-7.6

Strange that the ph dropped down from above 8.0 within 45mins, i would think the test is incorrect. Testing ph is a science in itsself.

I also top up fry tanks from other larger tanks in the first week or so.