pvc pipes - what glue to use

henward

i am setting up a sump for my RTG tank.

i am using as an outlet from the return pump in to the tank, pvc pipes and pvc bends.

now, the friction and the amount of hold it has should be enough to hold it up hanging by the side of the tank, but i am unsure of this, to make sure

should use adhesive?

should i use silicone to bond the bends and links together? and make sure its leak free?

or should i use super glue?

I asked the retired plumbing inspector who suggested that the person in the shop should get a new job writng fiction novels. The adhesive used is a solvent glue which is basically PVC disolved in a solvent (smells like metyl-ethyl ketone ) which dissolves the material being glued and welds the two together. It is used in sanitary plumbing all over the world and is safe when the solvent has evaporated in about 24 hours. RTV will not glue PVC.

I have done something like David Rs plumbing and have never had a problem.

Be WARNED though

Plan and pre assemble before gluing as once on this stuff holds in SECONDS

I have but screw together flangy bulhead thingees in my lines so if I need to take it down I can.

HTH

Navarre

PVC water reticulation pipes are under mains pressure and are glued. Waste pipes are not under the same pressure so you can get a range of fittings as suggested by navarre. Also as stated, you only get one go at glueing so get it right. You should make sure the joint is clean and dry, remove any dags and give the joint one quarter turn as you make it to get the joint together properly. Requires careful planning.

Henward-- I am a retired Envirnmental Health Officer, Plumbing and Drainage Inspector, Building Inspector etc. I am telling you that they are giving you bad advice. Silicone (RTV) will not glue PVC. You must use PVC glue. It is used in all PVC installing in waste pipes, stormwater and cold water supply pipes throughout the world. It is available from all hardware stores. Tell them you want adhesive for PVC used in cold water supply reticulation. It is probably used in the cold water system in your house, it is in mine.

I wouldn't bother washing up. I've used this stuff many times before for aquarium plumbing. A couple of time in an emergency from broken pipes or leaks I've glued the pipes together above or below the tank, waited 30-60seconds for the glue to bite and then turned the pump straight back on. A bit of a smell comes off the water surface for a few hours but it didn't seem to hurt the fish at all. The tank was medium sized though at 1200L with around 200 dwarf cichlids in it. No casualties at any time from the glue. Of course, I'm not certain the solvent didn't hurt the fish long-term but it was leak all over the floor or have fumes in the water - fumes won...

The stuff leaves no harmful residue so no need to rinse or scrub afterwards.