Which filter makes the least noise?

Julia

I am looking to upgrade to an external filter but am unsure whether to go with Eheim or Fluval. The tank is next to my bed so want the quietest one! Also looking for a couple of internal filters for my smaller tanks and again want to have the quietest possible.

the 3e is in a league of its own.

the fluval 205 and the eheim 2224 - both have the same level of "murmur" i.e. almost inaudible. and if you do hear something there is either something wrong with the filter or you have freaky ears :lol: lol

the eheim 2224 is the better filter of the 2 though... far better.

Yeah, but she's comparing a Eheim Professional 2224 to a Fluval 205 to a Eheim Professional 3 e 2076...they're hardly in the same league either...

A FX5 is like the Eheim Pro (except the Eheim's better IMO). The Eheim 2224, 2213, 2215 and Fluval 205 are all in the same kinda league - some are better than others, but it all depends on your tank size, what filter media you're wanting to use, and how often you want to clean it.

So I think I would go for the Eheim 2224, but am very tempted to go for the flashy Eheim Professional 3 e 2076. I only have a 130 Litre tank. Does anyone think that there will be that much difference seen in a tank of this size and would it be worth spending the extra money? :-)

So I think I would go for the Eheim 2224, but am very tempted to go for the flashy Eheim Professional 3 e 2076. I only have a 130 Litre tank. Does anyone think that there will be that much difference seen in a tank of this size and would it be worth spending the extra money? :-)

you should be able to adjust the flow on the 3e to suit your tank size. and it has a "boost" function as the suppliers call it to supercharge your filtration.

I have been considering getting a couple 3e's for my 6foot but would like to know how reliable they are. I love Eheim and have always found them to be quite and never a problem (unlike my Fluval), however the 3e's has all the extra electrical gadgets that makes me wonder.... more gadget's = more problems? Either way I'm still putting Eheim on it. But can anyone enlighten me on this?

they have a rock solid warranty (3years i think), and most retailers should just exchange the filter if they have it in stock - if there is something weird wrong with it.

its a very trusted brand and rightfully so - go for the 3e's if you can part with that money.

I still do like the FX5 though. hard to compare the two on a fair platform though.

I have been considering getting a couple 3e's for my 6foot but would like to know how reliable they are. I love Eheim and have always found them to be quite and never a problem (unlike my Fluval), however the 3e's has all the extra electrical gadgets that makes me wonder.... more gadget's = more problems? Either way I'm still putting Eheim on it. But can anyone enlighten me on this?

it comes with a 3 year guarantee, so i wouldnt worry too much about it

Here is a thread that discusses it..

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/eheim- ... 34720.html

Also google and you will find tons of comparason articles..

I own an FX5 and its an awesome filter, think the only advantage the 3e had was alot more biomedia space.. I guess it all depends how much you really have to spend. I can guarantee the FX5 would do an awesome job personally I don't think the eheim would do a job to justify the extra price but that is just me.

My theory is always go for the best filter you can afford. That way if you upgrade your tank you can still use the same filter.

I have two eheim pro 2026 filters on my 200 litre tank. They cost me a fortune several years ago but I have never regretted getting them, and I know I have a lot of room to move - if something was to go a bit wrong in the tank hopefully the filters could deal with it and I might not have such a drastic effect on my lovely fishies!

As for noise, one of the filters made an annoying humming noise at the last place I lived, and I never found out what caused it despite lots of taking it apart and putting it back together. But where I live now both filters seem totally silent, as they have at the previous three houses I lived in.

If you're serious about fish keeping and intend to have tanks for the long term, a really good filter is a great investment.

More thoughts about filter noise:

If you have a cannister filter in a cupboard under your tank, there are probably several ways of minimising any noise in the room. Think about putting a piece of polystyrene under the filter, or lining the cupboard with some kind of insulation material.

Also make sure the whole stand has a gap between it and the wall, and if you have hard floors put a bit of carpet under the legs of the stand.

Basically use a variety of techniques to make sure there is no vibration transferring between the filter and any other part of your home.

Also make sure you don't set up some kind of inadvertent amphitheatre effect by having the noise from the filter bounce off a flat wall and into the room. A piece of carpet underfelt behind the filter will solve this if it's a problem.