Rotten mouth and white tummy ?

wsun013

What they said.

Use salt.

1 tsp per litre.

Add in thirds over an hour.

Waterchange out once symptoms are gone.

also try a dip of about a tablespoon of salt in a litre of water. Dip the fish for 30 sec to a minute or so, depending on how the fish responds. Take it out if it rolls over.

Leave the fish in the net, makes life easier, just dip the net in.

Usually pretty hard to stop unless caught early.

WATERCHANGE

Figure out why they got sick.

This is one of those ones that is always in the water and gets stuck in if the fish are under stress for whatever reason.

What they said.

Use salt.

1 tsp per litre.

Add in thirds over an hour.

Waterchange out once symptoms are gone.

also try a dip of about a tablespoon of salt in a litre of water. Dip the fish for 30 sec to a minute or so, depending on how the fish responds. Take it out if it rolls over.

Leave the fish in the net, makes life easier, just dip the net in.

Usually pretty hard to stop unless caught early.

WATERCHANGE

Figure out why they got sick.

This is one of those ones that is always in the water and gets stuck in if the fish are under stress for whatever reason.

Thanks Stella & Dave+Amy,

For adding the salt, does that mean if I have a 300L tank, I will need to add 100 tsp (around 5ml) of salt ?

For dipping the fish, how many times/often do I have to dip it ?

300lt @ 1tsp salt per litre = 300tsp salt

1tsp salt = 6g

6g x 300 = 1,800g

1800g = 1.8kg....

:o Have fun dissolving!

(I like to post the formulas as others can pick up if we get a little lost...)

At least salt is cheap and easy ;)

Just dissolve the whole lot, and pour in about a third at a time. It isn't precise, just lets them a short chance to adjust.

Dips: just sit the fish in the water for 30sec to a minute, do it up to twice or three times a day, depending on how the fish responds. If it seems to help do it more, if the fish seems to be healing ok, you don't need to repeat. (lol: rinse and repeat ;)) Remember it is pretty tough on the fish, but sometimes just what they need.

There really aren't perfect formulas for what to do. Sadly it involves a lot of sick fish to get good at medicating.... :cry:

Get on to it ASAP as this disease can mow through fish really fast. May only affect some, may affect all. Good luck!

I've got an attack of columnaris in my tank at the moment too. I salt dipped all the fish in the tank 5 times in 24hrs, then furan 2-ed. I caught it really early so with the salt and furan 2, they're all doing well. I'm an advocate of salt dips every so often anyway, don't know if it works, but they do seem healthier and don't seem to get worms and flukes or bacterial nasties. I skipped salt in 1 tank for a few months, and now they have columnaris- can anyone confirm if my salt prevention actually works?

People have different ideas on the medication-for-prevention idea. These are mine:

Prevention only works if there is something to PREVENT.

To me that sort of prevention is the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, and good maintenance, stocking levels, feedings, habitat etc etc are lines of fences at the top.

If you have all those fences in place then the ambulance is a waste of staff and resources, and usually by the time someone hits the rocks at the bottom of a cliff it is a bit late.

If something goes wrong in my tanks it is a symptom that something else is not right, and I can correct it. If a disease is held at bay in the tank because it is constantly medicated, then you have no idea that the balance is all wrong in your tank and it is unhealthy.

One of my tanks has never had a disease. Ever. A good regime of weekly 30-40% waterchanges, careful feeding, quarantine for any new stock, and careful observation means I also don't have problems with "worms and flukes or bacterial nasties" (does salt treat flukes and worms?)

They didn't make it after 2 dips within 10 hours.

From what I observe, this doesn't happen often but I do have around 2-3 of them on weekly basis. I do think they are feed well (2 times a day) and I change water regularly

(10% everyday) Maybe it is because they are over-populated....