Post some pics of you livebearers!

livebearer_breeder

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the major probs is the length of the gonopodium (sp).. the sexual organ.

Often it is so long in highly bred fish that it becomes useless in the act of reproduction. Swords and Guppies show this to a great degree.

Hybridization could also be a factor, which I understand would as mentioned, make them sterile.

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who think livebearers involve four species mollie,platy,guppy and swordtail, you are very wrong there are numerous different types i will just name a few for you. :D

Characodon audax

Characodon_audax.jpg

Goodeids

Goodeids.jpg

Xiphophorus variatus

xiphophorus_variatus_1.jpg

Brachyraphis holdridgei

Brachyraphisholdridgei.jpg

Gambusia affinis otherwise known as Western Mosquitofish

WesternMosquitofish.jpg

Heterandria formosa otherwise known as Dwarf Livebearer

Heterandriaformosa.jpg

others include:

Xiphophorus clemenciae-which is basically a very coulourful swordy with and extremly long sword

Xiphophorus multilineatus- in my opinion one of the most beautiful livebearers, it is small and commonly in an exqusid aqua colour with a diagonal tail starting small at the top and angeling out to become longer at the bottom

Halfbeaks- i think there has been a post somwer before of what these livebearers look like, they have a long slim body and a pointed long pointed snout, commomly are not very colourful but have blue eyes

Porachraphis rosnithae

Zoogenectes quitzeonsis

Cheers Shae

yeah i have posted a better pic just above ur one, looks like we r both on the same page when it comes to what i am tlkin bout, but like i say i think its the most beautiful livbearer ive ever seen, and they look much better in real life, i had a mate last year in auckland, and when we went to visit him he had a pair of them, the prob with them is they r veyr hard to breed and die very easy which is a shame, because it is now a very rare fish to find in an aquarium so if any1 has every seen one of these knows were i can get them or has some, wuld they plz contact me as i will pay any price for a pair!

Regards Shae