Turtle tank going green

spook

i know that turtles make a lot of mess and i also know that the tank goes green quick.

i have just moved my turtles from a 40lt tank into a 360lt tank. needles to say my turtles think they are in heavn 8) 8)

only problem is i know that the tank is eventually going to turn green

what i was wanting to know is, is there anything i can do to stop the greenness from happening so fast.

nutrients and light and warm water = bloom!!

turtles produce plenty of waste and it is prob a result of an immature bacteria colony not proccessing so I would think it would come right but the ideas below also work.

There was a product for sale in Holywood FF Auckland a while back, made in Holland, it was called 'Clear Water'. It comes in a sachet that you put in the tank or filter and it extracts all nitrates and phosphates and changes colour. Brilliant product. 2 sachets in a pack and each last 4 months depending on tank size and nutrient load of the water. $20ish.

Failing that if you add a cloth bag of straw into the filter it will kill the algae.

I know these just get rid of the sympton without addressing the cause, but if it works then hey...it is fun to pretend to be a scientist sometimes rather than clean.

I'm currently running 2 turtle tanks, the one inside against a wall away from any direct sun light never goes green, but the one in the conservatory which is same size as other, with same light /filter system starts to green on glass within days of cleaning. The one inside usually has 1 or 2 more turtles in it too. So for my tanks I know its definately the sunlight aspect. I've just popped the Pleco in the conservatory one so hopefully she'll help keep it clean, otherwise I'll just have to keep wiping off the glass and doing more frequent water changes. :roll: