How to get plecos to eat

henward

In my tank i have a red tail gold arowana

5 clown oaches

1 clown knife

1 ornate and 1 bristlenose

i am adding a small royal pleco

thinking of getting the algae sinking stuff for plecos by hikari

how do i get the plecos to eat, do i just drop it in there?

do you think this will be attractive for the other fish at the bototm and eat it before plecos do?

in the tank, there is a piece of driftwood, its getting a nice algae coating on it already, the bristle nose just isnt hungry enough to suck it all off, s there should be plenty of pre existing food for the royal pleco.

the walls get them too, and the rocks in there. i saw the bristlenose suck on the rock the other day, and cleans it:D but its too small and cant eat enough at one time.

and ill try night feeding it.

will it destroy plants?

I have mainly Panaques, including a reasonable sized Royal. All my plecos get fed in the late evening just before the lights turn off or just after. They will feed during the day but appear to feed mainly in the evening and at night. Their stable food is algae wafers (3 different brands), veges - mainly courgettes, and of course wood. Occasionally I give them small quantities of high protein foods (blood worms, shrimp, etc.) but only occasionally and in small quantities as their digestive system isn't designed to handle much of it.

Your royal may take a shine to your plants, particularly swords if you have any, and the results wont be pretty. However sometimes they seem to leave them alone. Mine haven't touched Anubias, or Java fern, and I dont think they ate any crypt when I used to have it.

Apparently royals can be fussy feeders (mine isn't) and can go off their food if they are intimidated by another fish.

Give the royal at least one place to hide. Mine has taken up residence under a large piece of wood (the base of a small tree) with a large hollow underneath it.

feed at night thats when cats are most active. good time to watch them to just take a torch :P

i use jbl novo pleco tablets for my bn's, whiptails, cories even the medusas seem to eat it not sure why that brand but seems to get good results

also bloodworms at night for my cats not sure about royal plecs as never had them but presume theyre similar to the rest