Yay altum spawn

Olly

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the theory is that angels carry a nasty internal worm that doesn't affect them much.. However it screws with the discus, I guess it all depends how often you worm and how much you worry about your discus..

As for your altums, have you got any pics and got any id's? I have no doubt that the importers/wholesalers had some fish they sold as altums, but do doubt that they were actually altums.. They will call anything they want common names to sell them :)

These photos do these fish no justice at all. Hopefully they give some idea of what they look like. Maybe the experts can tell if they are altums or not. They are awesome whatever they are

Sorry about the pic quality, you can see how scratched the tank is

DSCF1683.jpg

DSCF1772.jpg

DSCF1773.jpg

DSCF1774.jpg

DSCF1775.jpg

DSCF1776.jpg

o0O... this is a different batch to what i thought they were... not sure if these are the real altum (as in like the pics of the perfect specimen you will find online or in the wild). - do you get the true "altum" in NZ??? have heard of a couple ppl selling them but never seen the real deal fully grown in NZ.

Ok maybe they aren't altums I dont really mind, they still look awesome, but it sux cos I probably wouldn't have got them if they hadnt said they were altums :-?

What type of angel are they then? They are a different shape to my scalares

these come up on the order lists as "zebras", just thought you'd like to know. personally a zebra has more stripes, but ppl get things wrong. but hey - still nice fish.... can't ask for more.

You won't stunt growth in a tank like that i dont think.... discus are a lot hardier than we give them credit for.

Hi All

IMO they are a very poor speciman of anything: "Scalare or Altum".

They have the hallmarks of having been crossed with a "scalare", but have the fin structure and "head and mouth look" of "altum's".

I certainly don't like the lack of markings which is a good sign that they have been crossed.

If I was selling them they would be advertised as a "Scalare Cross".

These are my original IMPORTED "Altums".

Angelfish.gif

Good luck.

IMO they are a very poor speciman of anything: "Scalare or Altum".

Hard to tell in a bare tank really.

I think they have a much nicer shape than what you call Altums, they look more like, well body shape of standard ones and VERY average..

Ollys are small and im sure they will colour up, only time will tell :D