Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

insects

Featured Replies

any one here keep any insects as pets like spiders or anything I know wellington tree wetas are easy to keep but any others would prefer to hear from people who have kept them before or are currently keeping them crabs or things like that would be cool to like a hermit crab

any one here keep any insects as pets like spiders or anything I know wellington tree wetas are easy to keep but any others would prefer to hear from people who have kept them before or are currently keeping them crabs or things like that would be cool to like a hermit crab

Hermit crabs aren't insects.:P And I don't think there are any terrestrial hermit crabs available in NZ, just marines.

anyone know if your aloud to keep wetas, i thought they were protected as theyre native arnt they and probably not too many left?

i see someone on tm selling garden spiders lol

Dave's just set himself up a 3 encosure breeding contraption to breed locusts for the arrival of his much anticipated beardy :roll: the sound of the locusts throwing their bodies against the glass sounds just like popcorn - IT is disgusting :o

you are allowed to keep weta, just not the giant ones. Leaving you with choices of tree, cave and ground weta (but nothing from a park or reserve please).

i think tree are the easiest to keep but have personally only kept tree weta so cant compare.

Stella has crabs :lol: (the NZ freshwater type), you could ask her - she seems delighted with them.

I have had pet roaches and they were pretty cool, also a grasshopper but i dont think it was v happy being kept

there are lots of things to choose from

Yes, I am very proud of the fact that I have crabs 8)

After nine months you would think I would have tired of the joke... :lol:

I tried keeping peripatus recently, but I just didn't have access to suitable food.

I regard all the daddy long legs in my house as welcome guests, but that probably doesn't count as pets.

OH! That's right! I used to keep bag worms! (bag moths, case moths etc) They were cool. I had heaps and was obsessed about them in my 10-yr-old way :)

  • Author

how would I look after a crab what would I keep it in what would I feed it ect ect ect and i knew you could keep wetas but where would I get one from aside from in the garden

Weta are everywhere, except when you want one

try woodpiles and gumboots and places where you can find curled up bits of bark (they like little hidey holes during the day).

and a small warning - ground weta bite readily, they are the only carnivorous weta (the rest are mostly herbivores that scavenge some) we have and are rather more tempramental than the rest.

once saw a weta from cantebury on tv. i think it was alpine.

beautiful creature, black body with white markings and red knees. really stood out and fairly large maby second biggest in nz???

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.