Nano reef

tinytawnykitten

Thats true if you compare fish with fish but look at total cost.

Say you have a 100ltr tank

You might have 4 marine fish like 2 clowns ($50 each), 1x Flame angel ($150) and a blenny ($50). 4 Asst corals ($69) Total $576

Freshwater you might have 4 Discus ($85 each) 20 Cardinals ($8 each) 6 x Albino catfish ($5 each) Total $530

So to stock a smallish tank it can be about the same as freshwater depending on what you want..

And then you have everything else for a marine tank like skimmer, lights and so on which are all way more expensive than freshwater stuff.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and the power bill!!!! Sorry dad :D

Well this 1 depends on the gear you use. :)

But seriously though you can compare all the costs between a sizable freshwater and nano reef tank, and the nano reef will still get the "oooo... aaaahh..." factor from visitors over the freshwater tank.

Well thats what i've noticed anyway... :) its also quite amusing... :lol:

We are talking about a 60ltr tank here to so costs shouldn't get that high. Can get huge on a larger tank for sure.

Have a look here if you want, few prices thrown around to, some photos are gone but still a few of the setup.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/1-vt90 ... sc&start=0

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/7-vt90 ... c&start=90

We are talking about a 60ltr tank here to so costs shouldn't get that high. Can get huge on a larger tank for sure.

Have a look here if you want, few prices thrown around to, some photos are gone but still a few of the setup.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/1-vt90 ... sc&start=0

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/7-vt90 ... c&start=90

No way

by the time you buy,proper skimmer,proper lights circulation, additives test kits then you have livestock

rock 12-20 a kilo for 60 litre around 6-8 kilo

fish normally around 100 each, clowns are 90 in wellington,bangaii 90,flame 180

then corals, now 4 corals wouldnt even fill a gap in a marine tank no matter what size. and each coral here in wellington is around 90-120 for a normal size coral, 60 litre tank maybe 8 corals might make it look alright

then you have a bag of sand 50 dollars

freshwater is WAY cheaper and way easier, no doubt about it, they are nothing alike

So ya gonna do it?

Oh well there are a bunch of words in this thread I don't even understand!! I am feeling very out of my depth. I was thinking of trying to buy Rockerpellers tank but can't figure out how to get it to Wellington by the end of November so I will wait. I really like the look of yours and Mystic's little tank. I might PM for some serious advice!

No way

by the time you buy,proper skimmer,proper lights circulation, additives test kits then you have livestock

rock 12-20 a kilo for 60 litre around 6-8 kilo

fish normally around 100 each, clowns are 90 in wellington,bangaii 90,flame 180

then corals, now 4 corals wouldnt even fill a gap in a marine tank no matter what size. and each coral here in wellington is around 90-120 for a normal size coral, 60 litre tank maybe 8 corals might make it look alright

then you have a bag of sand 50 dollars

freshwater is WAY cheaper and way easier, no doubt about it, they are nothing alike

So what would you think the cost would be to setup a 60ltr tank then???

I was just asking if he had a reef tank because he should know how much it costs to set up.

Oh well there are a bunch of words in this thread I don't even understand!! I am feeling very out of my depth. I was thinking of trying to buy Rockerpellers tank but can't figure out how to get it to Wellington by the end of November so I will wait. I really like the look of yours and Mystic's little tank. I might PM for some serious advice!

At the beginning there is alot to be learnt and you are always learning new stuff in this hobby thats what makes it great all you have to do is read and read. Trust me once you start with a saltwater tank you will love it and be addicted :D

Not going to get ugly, everyone is just here to help and we all have different ways of doing things.

Never said Saltwater was cheap, just pointing out that it doesn't have to be as dear as some people make it sound like.

Whenever anyone asks how to setup a saltwater tank or questions about it the first reply is, in general, hope you have deep pockets or its going to cost you a fortune. It doesn't have to cost the earth to get a nice looking wee tank.

If you have a look at the thread i posted you will see i made a lot of the gear for it, happy to go over this with anyone wanting to try.

Do you have any gear at the moment?

Once you get the saltie lingo it will all make sense have a look at reefcentral.com really good site with a heap of info, also check out trade me for setups and other gear.

I found buying an existing setup was a good way to get in to the saltwater hobby, that way your plumbing (if you have any), skimmer, lights eg are all sorted and you don't have to worry about the hardware side of things in the beginning and they can be a lot cheaper than buying something new It can be a little daunting in the beginning but, doesn't have to be as scary as it sounds. There are a few nano setups floating around on trademe at the moment that are all setup for on the hardware side of things, which means you can slowly stock your tank at your own pace and add rock, fish, coral etc slowly. If you could get it from auckland something like this might be a good option

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 286921.htm

I thoroughly recommend saltwater, the action and colour in the tank is fantastic. If you have any questions feel free to pm me :)

Yeah I have been through this and there is not really any way I can get it from Auckland in time for him to leave NZ :( There is another one for sale though, http://www.nzmas.co.nz/site/viewtopic.php?t=4832 and this person is willing to send. I hope it is ok to post this here. Mods if it isn't please remove and I'm sorry. Would this be a good beginner reef tank?

Yeah I have been through this and there is not really any way I can get it from Auckland in time for him to leave NZ :( There is another one for sale though, http://www.nzmas.co.nz/site/viewtopic.php?t=4832 and this person is willing to send. I hope it is ok to post this here. Mods if it isn't please remove and I'm sorry. Would this be a good beginner reef tank?

Anyone?