Security. How far does one go??

hothouse

When keeping large collections of Reptiles one is always wary of visitors or those keepers wanting to visit. Who can you trust with your personal address and how much of your collection do you show off??? I fully respect and understand those that have rare Reptiles (or in most cases family pets) in their collection to not allow visitors to view. Most Reptiles are easy picking for thieves as they can't defend themselves and when cold barely move at all. After a couple of recent thefts of Reptiles I thought it appropiate to let others know what we have done over the years to try and protect our collection from being targeted by thieves and hope that those of you with rare Reptiles follow some of what we have done. It could be the difference in getting your Pet back if the unmentionable should happen.

If you have a monitored alarm have external sensors installed around your section. Infrared beams are also good and easy to install.

If your collection is extra large or rare, ie Tortoises, invest in a CCTV surveilance system.

Have your address removed from the phone book and make it an unlisted number with Telecom so your address is unobtainable from directory and the online white pages.

Have outside enclosures locked. This will slow down thieves if they have to cut or smash their way in.

ID chip your Reptiles. This is an easy thing for your vet to do and it gives you immediate ownership of your Reptile when recovered.

Get a dog with a good bark. This will also wake up the neighbours especially if you are away.

Get on well with your neighbours and ask them to keep on eye on the place when you are away, or better still get someone to house sit for you.

I know all this seems a bit daunting for the sake of a couple of Turtles, think about the possibility of never seeing them again should the unmentionable happen. $30 - $40 for an ID Chip gives you ownership.

I would like others to post any other methods that they do to try and keep their collection immune to being ripped off.

Chris

All good thinking, esp topical at the moment.

I am surprised how cheap the microchipping is! Is that the cost for any pets?

I would totally do that if I had a cat or other pet. (Somehow I don't think people will be breaking into my house to steal my fish!)

Navarre, at least the licking would slow potential burgulars down, and he might manage to accidentally trip them over....!

LOL Stella,

Or he might stand on them and break a leg...lol...mastifs

They are great

I like the other option.

You know how people ask about types of music and hicks say "Ohh Im not picky, I like em both. You know Country AND Western."

Well I like both security options of Smith AND Western.

LOL

azlan has been trained :wink:

spends his days behind deer fence and his nights out

the licking is what he does after to remove the evidence from his chin :D

good one mincie have photoed underside of all our turtles now

only microchipped the more expensive ones

this was designed to be given to burglars to use

lawyeratermodelkz2.jpg

what do you mean rare reptiles

Rare reptiles include those not readily available but legal as pets ie: Mediterranean Tortoises (females in particular) Box Turtles, Male Eastern Water Dragons, Eastern Beardies, Red beardies, some species of Turtles, Shingle Backs Lizards, Leopard Geckos. And no doubt a few sup species of these as well.

Even tho I have not been to serious about this I have to thank you Chris for Bringing this up as I have just installed my new Hot room. And am hoping to put a few things there.

Would be keen to find out what people use, even tho I think my solution works easiest and has most lasting effect/affect

LOL

Snake kid think about it...lol....if you cant get it but its here...its rare.

By the way...anything on that list you dont need/wana establish down here then feel free to let me know and I ll come up Monday and get it of you....lol. :wink:

Nav

anything on that list you dont need/wana establish down here then feel free to let me know and I ll come up Monday and get it of you.

Now that we have sold the Livestock side of our business I only have a few bits and pieces. Nothing too rare and most are family pets, so it would be devastating if any of our Reptiles disappeared!!

As for specialized rooms, alarm sensors and curtains or blinds pulled when you're not home.

livingart, azlan is gorgeous!!! Is he Simba's daddy? Do you get any pups with that brindle/black face?

(sorry guys for going off-topic!!)

Microchipping is always a good idea, as it's one initial cost that lasts for life.

Often if a person is stealing a reptile to sell they don't have the best knowledge of care, and therefore what good escapists they can be (we get owners reporting escaped reptiles fairly often, even after a year or more of ownership!), and the reptile can end up getting loose, getting found and handed in to the SPCA or similar, where it should get scanned.

Can you have electric fences in urban areas? An electric wire running round the top of a fenceline, especialy a high fence that takes a bit of time to climb over, could prove a nice deterrent.... *ztztztztztzzz* :o

pretty sure your allowed standard electric fences at your house.

we used to have one for our dog, the kennel club suggested it i think?.

you could always booby trap your garden/house/room. nothing like a bucket of acid balenced on the top of the door to say go away.

just dont fall for/into your own traps.

might be a guy who knows a guy, who is doing the thieving?

best idea is to keep a record of who visits your collection and licence plate numbers

we have just installed wireless infra red cameras on the outside pens

linked to a computer for recording and cameras on indoor pens

don't want a hamilton zoo episode here