Can a magpie be kept as a pet?

Olly

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its easy (i potty trained rusty to do big poops in the morning on a handy towel that i hold out for him - then he poops, gets a kiss and he is happy as - then does lille poops throughout the day but doesn't like pooping on ppl).

you just say poop every single time he poops, mornings is when they like pooping - so pick him up - say poop and wait, then he poops, say poop again, give him a treat - he will like that and associate the word poop with pooping.

voila. potty trained bird.

rusty hops on my finger, tenses up in the morning and does a great big poop on the handy towel that i chuck away.

birds are actually clean animals, so will only dirty their surroundings if they have to.... give him an alternative - my crows had a lille sand box that they pooped in.

u talk to them.. a lot... and then they will talk back when they get the hang of it... they can mimic a lot of sounds... and i mean a LOT.

they usually live for about 3 -4 years in captivity as far as i know.... so not a long time commitment, like me with rusty - 30+ year commitment....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AtCqJdp_IKo

this is a cool video of one...

Best to be raised on a Farm where its close to nature and as close to the wild as possible. (only fair for the bird)

Where it can scare away all the native birds and make a nuisance of itself? I grew up in the country on a property bordered by native bush. The neighbor had his elderly parents living with him and the old man had a couple of tame magpies. They were very aggressive and chase and attack the native birds, so much so that as soon as his father died the neighbor trapped and killed them!

You might as well have a pet catfish and keep it in a stream so it can eat all the native fish...

Farm, as in farm land, paddock type thing. :-?

Not native bush farm.

Eha, dont worry. :roll:

Farmland and paddocks usually have heaps of native birds and other native life, assuming they're not chased off by magpies. My father in law sees FAR more bird life since he's wiped out all the magpies in the area. They're not considered pests without reason.