Fresh Lettuce

Stu :)

Thanks for that. I pulled some out last night and what appeared to be a whole leaf just turned into slime and fell apart soon as I touched it.

It great too as soon as I started adding lettuce leaves to the tank the silver dollars have started ignoring the plants :bounce: Obviously fancy lettuce tastes better than aquatic plants.

if theyt arent eating it all boil it for a few mins in a cup in the microwave they will go crazy for it nb if u have algae on rocks or driftwood u can boil it in a large pot(even black hair algae after boiling ur fish will pick it clean.

if theyt arent eating it all boil it for a few mins in a cup in the microwave they will go crazy for it nb if u have algae on rocks or driftwood u can boil it in a large pot(even black hair algae after boiling ur fish will pick it clean.

Just remember if you boil it you will make it break down much faster. Lettuce in particular is mostly water so will collapse when you cook it.

I had an outbreak of bad bushy black algae a few months ago so I scrubbed then boiled my wood, then put it in the microwave and zapped it. About a week after putting it back in the tank the nasty stuff had started growing back. :evil: When the end of the world comes, all that will survive is cockroaches and BBA. :roll:

Gee, I must try that, thanks :P Does lettuce serve any benefit (like peas do) or is it more of a treat?

Caper

I don't know specifically whether fresh vegetables serve a nutritional purpose, but I think they probably do. Like humans, the more variety of food and the more fresh/live food, the better in my opinion.

Also there is the psychological benefit of giving the fish some new experiences - new tastes, textures, smells, and new problems to solve. I think even fish deserve mental stimulation in their lives. :D

Lettuce should always be blanched first before adding to aquarium:

Method for blanching:

plunge foods into boiling water for a few seconds (few seconds for lettuce) or a few minutes, then remove and place in ice water. The food does not cook all the way through, so crisp texture is preserved.

I see no real reason to unless you have smaller weaker fish, it might be a bit tough for them. But cichlids, plecs, bristlenoses etc don't seem to have a problem. It's interesting watching a big plec eating it if you have it stuck against the glass. Starts off you can just see a dark patch through the lettuce slowly a section of it gets more and more defined then gets some color and suddenly a mouth appears through the lettuce.:)

I'm just rinsing the lettuce leaf off with tap water and clipping it to the side of the tank opposite side of the plants. The juvenile Silver Dollars and slightly bigger green sevs don't complain.

I can tell when my baby Plecos have had a go at the lettuce as it looks 'striped'; meaning that that part of the leaf looks more transparent and you can really see the veins really well. All I have to do is work out better way of feeding the monsters the algae chips... :roll: