Culturing cockroaches?

Stella

Good idea! Thanks :)

Tell your wife about the friend of mine who had his mealworms in a polystyrene container in the hot water cylinder. They munched through it and the problem wasn't discovered until she found all the sheets, towels etc were full of bran and mealworms....! :o

Then there was the time they have guests and she brought some icecream to the table, opened it in front of everyone, and found it was actually minced meat-based fish-food!

I do pity the partners of fish-nuts....

Mealworms are relatively easy to care for.

I am working on raising mealworms at the moment for my fish, but I beleive you really need to start with a reasonably big culture so that you can feed them out.

you do however from time to time need to change the bran flakes as the mealworm poo accumulates down the bottom and smells like ammonia.... then kills the mealworms.

Big bin works well.

If you can go to a grain store like wrightsons, RD1 or PCL you can pickup large bags of Bran flakes (chicken feed) reasonably cheaply. Beats paying $5 - $6 for a small pack from the supermarket.

I hope to have an article on this in next years AW

Mealworms are relatively easy to care for.

I am working on raising mealworms at the moment for my fish, but I beleive you really need to start with a reasonably big culture so that you can feed them out.

you do however from time to time need to change the bran flakes as the mealworm poo accumulates down the bottom and smells like ammonia.... then kills the mealworms.

Big bin works well.

If you can go to a grain store like wrightsons, RD1 or PCL you can pickup large bags of Bran flakes (chicken feed) reasonably cheaply. Beats paying $5 - $6 for a small pack from the supermarket.

I hope to have an article on this in next years AW

Changing the bran is easy enough. Dump everything into another big container then use a seive to scoop everything up give it a bit of a shake so all the dust falls out into a third container then dump back into your original one.

Not a bad idea to keep the container of dust for a month or two and then give it another sieve to to collect all the worms that hatched from the eggs that made it through.

Is there any truth in the idea that mealworms are very hard to digest and the animal uses more energy digesting the mealworms that what they actually provide?

Even if they don't provide much energy, there's more to food than calorie content.

But, I'd doubt claims that they are particularly hard to digest.

mealworms hard to digest - id say yes but depends

theyre easier to digest if theyve just shed - the white/soft ones

also whats eating the mealworms? i know with my beardies they love them but can get really messy poo after mealworms but that could be just because they like them so much they eat too many

alot of info ive read does say chitin (sp?)/outer shell of mealworms is hard to digest and that mealworms have little nutritional value, each to there own. mealworms sure are handy and relatively easy to culture

i thought the same thing today when dusting some :lol:

bds do seem to love them and i havent seen any ill effects, they great for beefn up axoltls and frogs to..

i use to harvest the mealies then put in a container with blended up fish food food cat and or dog biscuits and maybe some vitamin powder and leave in this atleast overnight before feeding out. Once i used those red and green fish pellets and some of the mealies went red/pink lol but point been if insects are fed a higher protein and or a good quality food then should pass onto the the bds/predator. it all helps but even on there own they seem good as, not that ive done the taste test lol!

or there is fluon adi but only available overseas i think - apparintly this is the stuff for keeping roaches in toe, i havent got around to it but would love to get some bought in at some stage ;)

I will be selling some fluon soon-ish, just have to work out some containers/bottles.It lasts for ages. Many people interested?

Doesn't having to fill them with commercial foods and vitamins kinda take away the POINT in feeding live foods??

you do have a point there Stella, assuming u want to feed livefood to replicate the wild diets of what your feeding, then insects could be cultured more naturally but that can be easier said than done.

Id probably feed commercial pellets to my animals if theyd eat them so dont see much problem feeding to my insects, but you have gt me thinking 8)

I will be selling some fluon soon-ish, just have to work out some containers/bottles.It lasts for ages. Many people interested?

You know i am :hail: i was looking at getting family to purchase for me in aus and send over but may not nd to :P

when feeding out roaches do you have much trouble with escapes? im just letting mine breed for now but was thinking maybe plastic bins with fluon would be good for feeding the lizards roaches in?

You know i am :hail: i was looking at getting family to purchase for me in aus and send over but may not nd to :P

when feeding out roaches do you have much trouble with escapes? im just letting mine breed for now but was thinking maybe plastic bins with fluon would be good for feeding the lizards roaches in?

Ive found that most of them freak out when you put them in the tub with the roaches,

I use a white ceramic type cat/dog bowl with a line of fluron around the top, That way you can just pour them into that and they arnt running and hiding straight away.Then the lizards just eat out of the bowl :D easy