October 17, 200817 yr comment_268393 Hi all first off just wanting to see if there are many marine keeping people in wellington?and second I am trying to sort out what gear I am going to need to start up a 400ish L marine tank,I am wanting to own a cowfish and some other small peaceful fish to go with the cowfish, Would a reef octopus NW200 or a nw200 6540 be alright for this type of setup?What size does the sump have to be? Would a weipro cc 120 with 4X 54watt T5 bulbs be good enough lighting for this type of set up? What other gear do I need? Sorry for all the silly questions but you guys on here have been awesome so farThanks alot for the help Report
October 17, 200817 yr comment_268397 NW200 would be fine for your tank i'm running an NW150 on my 400 and its fine, i have acros in there and they survive no problem so your tank should be fine depending on your stocking levels Lighting will depend on what time of livestock you want, if its just fish then whatever lighting you want. If you want mushrooms, leathers then lighting that you have is fine, if you want acros then you'll need more lighting. i run 2 x 250W and 2 X 54W T5s. Fmxmatt has i think 8 T5s on his tank? Report
October 17, 200817 yr Author comment_268401 yeah Id like my tank to have a few mushrooms and leathers I dont want fish only but the main priority is the fish.Id need 40kg of live rock if I am to do a 400L tank Is this correct? Report
October 18, 200817 yr comment_268415 Do you have a sump? I have a Turboflotor T1000 I'm looking to get rid of now that I don't have a tank. Report
October 18, 200817 yr Author comment_268419 .No I dont have any gear whatsoever yet just trying to find out what i need and how much everything is going to cost,I have just found out I can get a redsea max for $1200 including the starter kit so would I be better going that way and starting small ?? Report
October 18, 200817 yr comment_268425 if you do look at getting the RSM look at upgrading the skimmer with a deltec. Report
October 18, 200817 yr comment_268432 Hey thanks for the offer but Im only new to this and dont know what a turboflotor is. Allow me to introduce you to google. It can be found at http://www.google.com Report
October 18, 200817 yr Author comment_268439 if you do look at getting the RSM look at upgrading the skimmer with a deltec. Why Is this? Report
October 18, 200817 yr comment_268441 the stock skimmer could be better. there are a few RSM owners on here that have made the jump up to the Deltec. think they use the MC300? Report
October 18, 200817 yr comment_268510 The quality of your skimmer is key as you need to get as much waste as you can from the water. Otherwise it pollutes the water (put simply). But deltec is expensive its the needle wheel pumps that are the most important part. Report
October 18, 200817 yr Author comment_268522 hey thanks for the advise on the redsea max,I really need to know what other gear I am going to need to set up a 400L tank so I can decide what way to go .I will be in auckland for the day on Wednesday 22nd so can anyone reccomend some fish shops to visit Report
October 18, 200817 yr comment_268523 Main shop in auckland is Hollywoods. Mt Roskill Branch 36 Frost Road Mt Roskill, Auckland. Ph/Fax (09) 6205249 North Shore Branch The Tawa Trade Centre, Corner of Tawa Drive and Rosedale Road, Albany, Auckland Ph/Fax (09) 415415 Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268686 Hi, there are a few of us in Wellington and it's becoming a bit easier now we have some shops stocking stuff. IMHO I would go for the custom tank 400l tank. There are a few reefers with stunning RSM tanks but you are fighting an up hill battle because the small water volume well make it difficult to get stale water parameters (which is key to success). Plus in the end you will be paying $1200 for just a tank, unless you are keeping just a clown fish and live rock you will need replace the skimmer and light, then add power heads for better water flow. Decide what you want then go see Pete at port nicholson glass. Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268702 And make sure you set it up with a sump and buy my skimmer. In fact, I still have my tank with sump too, probably have to build a new stand for it though. I really need quit procrastinating and get rid of this stuff... Report
October 20, 200817 yr comment_268786 I've also got a tank for sale...with sump, skimmer, lights, live rock, and a few fish too, plus a super duper red banned shrimp....!!! Comes with a very cool looking remu cabinet....I listed it on here under "all you need to start a marine." Where have you come from? Report
October 20, 200817 yr Author comment_268820 I've also got a tank for sale...with sump, skimmer, lights, live rock, and a few fish too, plus a super duper red banned shrimp....!!! Comes with a very cool looking remu cabinet....I listed it on here under "all you need to start a marine." Where have you come from? hey is this the one listed on tm,I was one of the people that asked how many litres it is.I would have loved to buy your set up but I am in wellington Report
October 20, 200817 yr Author comment_268824 Hi, there are a few of us in Wellington and it's becoming a bit easier now we have some shops stocking stuff. IMHO I would go for the custom tank 400l tank. There are a few reefers with stunning RSM tanks but you are fighting an up hill battle because the small water volume well make it difficult to get stale water parameters (which is key to success). Plus in the end you will be paying $1200 for just a tank, unless you are keeping just a clown fish and live rock you will need replace the skimmer and light, then add power heads for better water flow. Decide what you want then go see Pete at port nicholson glass. I have already paid a visit to Pete at port Nicholsons glass but I really need to see some more setups (the only ones Ive seen are Animalz in petone and Hutt pets red sea max)Going to auckland tommorrow so will check out hollywood Report
October 20, 200817 yr comment_268855 Just a matter of a ferry ride....and come and check out the "Mainland"!! It all fits in a station wagon. Report
October 20, 200817 yr comment_268982 Your more than welcome to come and see my tank. I have a 520L and a RSM. Just drop me a PM as I don't often read this forum. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.