problem with common names and then using web photo.

firenzenz

lol yeah I saw them..

One of them has a photo of a jacob's in the auction, and the other is calling them baenshi..

Who knows what they are but my best guess would have been firebird's were Rubescens? I thought they were actually imported and on the list with this name?

Probably not a good idea to buy from either given the mix ups and that neither of them have photo's of the actual fish on their auctions.. You wouldn't know what you were going to get.

That is the problem with common names, I think also people see something on tradme or their mates tanks and decide it is what they have also and call their fish that.. Or google the common name which will pop up for many different species that people have posted with no knowledge, this is what people do when trying to sell fish on trademe and pick the best one not even knowing what it is..

depends where you live I guess.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/231.htm

http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?ma ... ts_id=1192

Part of List that was on this site

Peacock Rubescenes/Firebird

Ps Demasoni

Ps Socolofi

Ps Zebra Albino

Ps. Lombardoi

Ps. Zebra Blue

Tropheus Moorii Firefox

Yellow Peacock

Yellowstripe Cichlids

Ps. Snowwhite

Blue Dolphin

Marble Zebras

Take care

Kind Regards John

Organism Ltd

399 Ilam Rd

Ph 03 351 3001

Fax 03 351 4001

Mon - Friday 10- 5.00

Sat - Sun 10- 4.00

[email protected]

I was pretty confident they come through with Rubescenes on the list..

It seems the firebird common name has been used in alot of places if I had my way peacocks would only be sold with sc names but that would never happen.. You can take pretty much any common name google it and find links where it relates to several different species, which one is right or wrong?

Luckily we got our firebirds in with an actual name as well :)

Livingart you are right we can only do the best with what we have some people (I think mainly from lack of knowledge) seem to be taking us backwards without knowing it.. Someone will buy one firebird auction (the one with the jacob's as pictured) and resell them as jacob's.. Someone else will buy the other firebird auction and resell them as baenshi, this is how confusion is created.

Funny story along these lines...

There is a genus of plants called Stapelia which have finger-like stems and are only identifiable by their flower, the stems are nearly identical. While browsing trademe at work I noticed someone using a pic of a Stapelia flower from our website for a plant he was selling. Obviously he'd done a google search for Stapelia, found a pic of the flower that looked like the one he was selling and decided to use that pic. I saved him as a favorite seller to keep an eye on his listings to make sure he didn't steal any more of our photos. A few days later I got an email from trademe with his new listings, one of which was "Stapelia Refrigerator Magnet". Eh?! I thought. Then I clicked, and googled 'Stapelia refrigerator magnet', and found the same pic he was using to sell the plant on the website of a company selling fridge magnets. Obviously his english (and botanical Latin) were very poor, and he thought the species was called Refrigerator Magnet because thats what the title of the page was!

:lol:

Anyway, in this case all you can do is try to inform the seller of his incorrect identification and hope he's accepting of it (unlike half the dimwits on trademe who seem to be experts in everything)...

the problem is that becomes "Something, something firebird", and people trust too easily what google tells and shows them, and or not don't research their fish much. All of sudden the "something,something" is filled in again with what ever.

So these two auctions, one for jacobfriebergi, and other 95% Baenschi, are very probable both Rubenscens, rubins red, ruby red.

was firebird merely someone given a new name as there were are few Rubescens available.

:(:(:(:(:x:(

Yeah I agree, that some person in the first one (who if they are on here its great maybe they could enter into the discussion) has a pair of transcriptus listed as marlieri because someone told them they were.. Obviously without doing any research because the picture on the auction is of a transcriptus and marlieri are a little harder to find.. Again going to create confusion down the line when they're being sold.

I don't believe this person is trying to trick anyone or do anything dodgy just that they might not have the knowledge or have done the reserach.

It is just going to create confusion down the line and points out why you should always buy of people who know what they're doing and have pride/passion for it. When I buy a fish off someone no matter who I always research what it was supposed to be and I watch it as it matures and make sure that is indeed what it is.. And that is off trusted and respectable internet sites not the ones that allow anyone to submit a random photo and a name and it gets posted.

I suspect that the exporters who sold the fish to the nz wholesalers attached the "firebird" name to the fish to make it more marketable.. Everyone wants to get hold of awesome bright red peacocks.

Hi

i have trans....And saw his...They have more bars going deeper in belly..

So T or M..? or X..

To firebirds..I have 20 growing on and saw male in a flash and consider it mostly orange......Let ya know when older...Not easy getting reds..So if anyone has some Maleri Reds let me know.......Cheers Phill

Well as long as the barring goes around to the bottom of the body then they're most likely marlieri.. I guess it also depends where they got them from and what they were labelled as.. Actual photo's on the auction always help, who knows without seeing the fish or a descent photo. The only concern is passing them on with the wrong name using internet photo's and the new owner breeding them and passing them on with incorrect names just like the firebirds..

Peacock Rubescenes/Firebird if they are actually Rubescenes are just line bred A maleri's anyway there are a few nice strains of maleri reds around in NZ I have a few babies growing out from 2 of them to keep the redder ones.. Technically these could also be called Rubins reds because they are just red maleri's.