Vallisneria?

dennis

As I recall from a while back there was heaps of the stuff and a couple of the Aponogeton species in the Waiwhetu Stream around Naenae and Taita.

Check it out. :roll:

The KOI CARP deal has been going on for years.

The best source for them is Turangi rivers. Those rivers also used to have a good supply of swordtails as well.

Amazonian, the rivers you talk about are actually a small stream that comes down parrallel to the Taupo - Napier highway.

I HAVE fished there, it was a long time ago now, as the stream is now over- grown with blackberries,

and under the culvert that was a fav. place, was thick with a long slimy algae,

that clogged nets of anyone silly enuf to try and fish there.

Swords and trout just could not survive happily in water that suited the other.

There is also a spot north of Taupo, in a camping ground where tropicals can be caught,

and of course there is the infamous Tekanu swamp, where many members here, have caught those beautiful mollies.

Alan

Some oxygen weeds are banned some (one?) are allowed. The three most common oxy weeds in NZ are Egeria densa, Lagarosiphon major and Elodea canadensis. The Egeria and Lagarosiphon are listed in the national plant pest accord and are hence illegal to sell etc. The Elodea is the one that is allowed to be sold - it sounded like the reason that it is allowed to be sold is that it's that wide spread and established already that it would have been a waste of time to ban it.

The thing about pest plants is that there are the ones that are banned nation wide - but then various regional councils ban others as they are considered a problem just in that region - that's currently why all vallisneria is banned in the Waikato but you can buy it up in Auckland.

we still have it and sell it!! and until i get told in writing then i will keep selling it!

one of my suppliers sells it but the ones down south cant sell it to me they got letters saying they cant.

i dont think they can ban it like some other plants but i think they can stop suppliers from selling it.

just wandering why the val was dumped into the wild, an exotic species introduced again, like possums and rabbits.

in taupo the farm tropical freshwater prawns. the use the water runoffs from the power plant. the power plant use the water to cool the generators and the warmed water goes into a tropical freshwater prawn farm. cool aye, was going to venture in a mass breeding ground for some tropical fish along side the prawns. the good thing is is that if they escaped then they would just die so no possible threat to nz biodiversity. unlike the idiot who threw val out to grow in the wild now becoming a pest so ruins it for all of us.

Some aquatic plants don't need to be deliberately introduced. With some plants, in some towns, simply emptying a tank down your sink could find plants introduced into streams. Also flooding of ponds can do it.

Though I suspect most were deliberately introduced, making life difficult for us all.