How do you prepare your heart meat?

Stella

I LOATHE cutting up hearts. Absolutely loathe it. And I was wondering how other people do it?

Usually I start by cutting off the fat and misc, then cut it into slabs, then cut the slabs into thin meal-sized schnitzel then freeze it.

Last time I froze the slabs then let it defrost just enough so I could cut it into more evenly sized schnitzel.

The schnitzels then get diced at meal times.

What do you do?

Don't forget to put garlic in there! (then just watch as the colours get more and more vibrant!).

=)

oh and i usually get rid of the fat - then freeze the heart. then when its frozen i use a thin grater and grate the heart. then mix in garlic, coriander, thyme(really little - don't know why - i was told to do it as a kid so i still do lol); peas and then put that mix in the old blood worm packets. then freeze it!

so when it comes for time to feed the fish; the beef heart is already in a thin shredded form easy for the fish to consume.

hope that helps.

Trim the fat and cut it into chunks, freeze in a plastic container spread out with pieces of tinfoil in between the layers so its easy to separate the pieces when frozen.

I hate it too, which is generally why I feed shrimp 95% of the time. Its better for them too.

Trim the fat and cut it into chunks, freeze in a plastic container spread out with pieces of tinfoil in between the layers so its easy to separate the pieces when frozen.

I hate it too, which is generally why I feed shrimp 95% of the time. Its better for them too.

What, the shrimp or the heart is better?

Probably a dumb newby question lol :oops: but can ox/beef heart/garlic mix be given to all fish in community tank or just bigger fish? :D

I have clown loaches, male siamese fighter, guppies, mollies, corys, bristlenose, platys and killies.

your fish would love it. especially the loaches, cories and the killies. and it'll bring out the colour in the killies. works like magic.

having seen dried shrimp I would worry about my fish getting enough out of something that seems to be 99.99% water.

I used to feed bloodworms as the staple diet but having seen the growth the heart meat achieves I don't think there is much in bloodworms. THe heart is just so nutritionally DENSE.

Shrimp is alot better for the fish and if you buy it cooked etc from the supermarket is alot easier to work with..

The theory I have heard revolves around the fact that fish are cold blooded animals and designed to digest cold blooded fats.. When you start feeding them meat that contains fats from warm blooded animals they start to struggle to digest it which can cause liver problems (built up undigested fat) blockages etc.. Which is why shrimp are supposed to be better because they're cold blooded and the fish are somewhat designed to digest it..

Yes alot of people breeders etc feed up their fish on beef heart and it gets the fish to grow fast but how long will they last? Personally after reading articles and knowing there are better safer and easier things to feed I stay away from the beef heart..

Found this its a better explaination...

"Fish are cold-blooded animals, meaning that their body temperature rises and falls with their surrounding environment. They use fat for both an energy reserve as well as an energy resource. Just like humans, they have fat stores throughout their bodies. But these fats need to have a low melting point so that they can be utilized if the water around them is cold (like during the winter). Warm-blooded animals, on the other hand store fats that have a high melting point. If you feed your fishes fats from warm-blooded animals, they will not be able to mobilize these fats for energy use. Consequently, it will be stored in their livers, and over time it will accumulate leading to cirrhosis. "