How long does a log take to sink

polgara

I found a lovely log to put in one of my fish tanks. I have it sitting in a very large drum outside held down under the water line. It has been there over a week, and if I take the bricks off it that are holding it down it is still floating. How long does it normally take??? Thanx :-?

depends on where the wood has been b4, obviously it wasn't waterlogged. Some wood will never sink on its own accord, i have had wood that takes 3-6 months b4 it would sink. Be patient is all i can recommend. Try micro-waving it, i did this the other night with some bamboo and it sunk within 15 minutes of being "nuked".

easy way to sink in put baking soda in a bath/tub of water that takes the air out of the wood it can take a week to sink but sometimes i have had it sink in 1 day

the lead is a good if it still doesnt sink.

baking soda takes the air out of the wood!

you can put it in warm water and then put the baking soda in, but remember some wood does not sink!! so no matter how hard you try it wont if its not ment to.

• 1 month later...

Hi I have two really nice pieces of driftwood that has a covering of green "Algae" It looks like grass, its so thick. I want to put them in my fish tank, but dont know how to remove the stuff from the logs. Has anyone got any advice on how to remove it??? I had thought about buying some Algae Remover, but am worried about all the growth being dead, and polluting the tank. Up till now they have been sitting in a pond, that had all the fish removed before we moved in, anyway, if anyone has a suggestion, I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Judy :D

Hi, thanks Alan, Ira. I have a great wee pot scrub, so shall try using that :D . I am at the moment going thru all my fruitsalad gravel, one by one, and seperating all the dark ones. :o want to set up another tank, but have the gravel pale in colour. I went and bought some bigger stones along time ago and added them to my already supply, so am now taking out the biggies.......one by one....lol. Actually, its quite therapudic (sp), have stopped ofr now tho, cause just thru a cup of dark stones in with my pale. Time for a break me thinks. :D