David R's new 630L tank...

David R

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought it as a "Clown Pleco" years ago. Phoenix, that is exactly why common names are rubbish and more people should use Latin names, and in this case L numbers. [yes I know the problem starts with the suppliers]

And yeah they are A. heckelii, and they get more attractive every single day. The little ones in the LFS look boring in comparison, with their colourful fins just hinting at their potential. They haven't been available for a while, so people should be snapping them up, but I guess they don't realise what they grow into. I wish I could take better photos of them!!

• 5 weeks later...

Time for a bit of an update.

160g1-12-08sml.jpg

Aro1-12-08Bsml-1.jpg

Ornate1-12-08sml.jpg

New I need some better lighting and another pump to increase the flow through the sump. At the monemnt the inhabitants are;

green aro 20cm

ornate bichir 45cm

2 uaru 18-20cm

rotkeil severum 16cm

3 A. heckelii 12cm (the fouth is in a hospital tank with damage around his eye

8 clown loaches 14-18cm

L27 Tapajos royal plec 8cm

The severum is going as soon as I get around to taking it to Phillip Collis (no I haven't forgotten Phil!) and once they're big enough I'll be adding a G. altifrons (aka surinamensis) and S. leucosticta (aka "jurupari"), and possibly a Gymnogeophagus balzanii.

I even made a crappy video... :lol:

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=tI55di1L6vk

Thats the ornate bichir, Polypterus ornatipinnis. They can get up to 2', mine is close to 18". Used to be very rare until about 18 months ago when a heap of little ones started appearing in the shops, now they're pretty common, although they do take a little while to get this big (unless you keep them in a massive tank).