Turtle/turtoises

fins

Moved From Beginners Mod Bill.

Hey

What types of turtles and turtoises are in NZ at the moment. My mate just got a book on them and there were some really cool looking ones that climbed trees. The only ones I have seen are red eared turtles. Are there any permits/lisences need to keeps these animals?

thanks

we have lots of turtles in nz but they only are knowen to people in the no, you have to no the right people to talk to before you could get your hands on anything different.

i myself have had 5 different kinds and breed 1000's over the years

As far as I know, the only turtles in NZ are Reeves, Red Eared and Snake-neck. Tortoises are Hermann's and Mediterranean Spur-thighed (Greek variety).

Red Eared Sliders and Snake-neck turtles are sold on Trade Me a bit.

No licenses are needed for any of these. Look at the New Zealand Herpetological Society for a list of reptiles and info on regulations etc. I have noticed the list is missing some reptiles that are available in New Zealand, and I hope my list is incomplete too!

people that have different turtles dont part with them unless you no what your doing and sorry fins you cant learn about keeping them just out of books , you are looking at $400-$2500 EACH

also you need good lighting if you dont they will die!

I have kept them before. In Philippines I kept a few red eared turtles (got them for $5 each) so I do know what I am doing. Im just looking at a more interesting type of tutle. Which turtles are the more expensive?

• 8 months later...

I used to have yellow bellied ones, had to leave them behind when I moved here, have not found them here but I don't know that much people here to ask. Now I have a red eared one, they seem to be a bit more agressive or just less social than the yellow bellied ones.