National Fish Show and Expo

Warren

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Warren - I know the show info said that it's open ie all classes. Is that the general classes or are you including some of the subclasses (eg D = cichlid general class, Da = angels, Db = Dwarf, Dc = rift lake)?

Are you happy to accept entries in the breeders and plant classes?

On the entry form there is also a fish length column - I'm not sure what info is required: the length as listed in show size sheets or the length of the fish actually being entered?

Sorry for all the questions :(

It would be best to get the scientific name if possible. If you can't work out what it is yourself, try getting someone from your club to help. Post a photo in the forums to get it's id. We're here to help as much as we can...

The judges are likely to disqualify any fish named incorrectly.

We are expecting 300+ entries for the show. It is important for our tank layout that all fish are correctly named. It will reduce the last minute panic when trying to get all the fish into the correct tanks.

If we get a fish with a name that is incorrect and can positively identify it we will try to adjust the tank layout to house it. If we have to shuffle too much we will have to either leave everything as-is or leave the fish out of the show.

We want to have every tank full and all entries will be arranged by class. To shuffle one fish into a class where there will be no spare tanks will mean moving many fish. Then there is the paperwork to update. It's something we'd rather not do. You can see how important it is to correctly name your fish.

I'll see what I can do regarding a more definite ID Caryl, I've got a CD on Rainbowfish that has pictures of regional variations - I just need to find a computer still running Windows 98 (there are some in at work) as it doesn't work on later versions of Windows.

I don't know whether you've tried this. If you haven't, give it a go.

If you have XP, try right clicking on the program and selecting properties. There should be a compatability section. Select the box saying "Run in compatability mode" and select Windows 98 from the dropdown menu.

Well I've had a rummage through the CD and have come to the conclusion that Caryl's mystery rainbow fish is a form of Melanotaenia splendida australis (as Midas has suggested in the other thread).

Reading through the description it emphasises the extreme variability of this type of rainbow but does say that the zig-zagging blackish lines on the lower sides are a trademark of this species/sub-species.

Hi Warren

Can you book Ian Douglas and Judy Shepherd in for the dinner please. We are both new members of the kapi mana club ............ complete with brand new, bright red membership cards .......... :lol:

If its not OK to book this way could you let me know please

Cheers

Judy