water problems?

ducati

I am currently renting a house in the country which is on tank (rain) water. Tastes fine etc but I have had several batches of goldfish die in this water. They are fine in spring water but the minute I put them in the tank water they die - the larger fish are OK. What might this be?

thanks

Hi

PH is your problem...Rain usually is 6.5 PH and goldfish must have at least 7.5...

Buffer with lime stone and backing soda to get PH up..I use rain in all 122 tanks and just have lime chips and cockle shell with africans are just fine. Can also increase hardness with spar pool stuff...My Tanks still get daily input of rain and PH stays up..

By the way..I was the former owner of Burbank Goldfish Farm and bore water was so hard even malawi's would not have liked it...Phill

Hi

PH is your problem...Rain usually is 6.5 PH and goldfish must have at least 7.5...

Buffer with lime stone and backing soda to get PH up..I use rain in all 122 tanks and just have lime chips and cockle shell with africans are just fine. Can also increase hardness with spar pool stuff...My Tanks still get daily input of rain and PH stays up..

By the way..I was the former owner of Burbank Goldfish Farm and bore water was so hard even malawi's would not have liked it...Phill

Above is what i do...Phill

Oh OK - phill what's the best way to adjust pH for say 200L?

After the rain we have had this year i cant see roof being an issue..But for 200.L from 6 PH to 7.6PH is just about a rounded teaspoon of backing soda..5 Gms...To keep it there the the shell or lime stone is the long term key

Simple tester will tell you if acid or moved up..

Stevenson's depot at Drury have shell and lime stone at $10 a bag of 20 L each..If need just for one tank come see my and ill give ya some...Phill