Whats good in auckland?

firefish

I'm going to auckland for 4 days (not including travel) in November :)

So far i know i'm going to :

Kelly Tarltons

The Zoo

On a ferry (maybe to devonport)

the sky tower

Are there any petshops that are worth visiting? Or is there any other place i should go to that i haven't thought about?

Cool, thanks for those ideas!

The ferry to devonport isn't that exciting

I went on this when i was last in auckland (2005) and was thinking that some ferry would be cool, so i can see auckland as a whole. Is there another ferry that would be better?

Butterfly creek looks good! is the farm more for children?

Ii'm not much of a museum person, so that cuts out quite a few places (but i've got to save time for shopping :P )

The ferry to Waiheke is a nice trip and Waiheke itself is a pleasant way to spend a day if you have the time. You can also get a ferry to Rangitoto and walk up it if you want. Motutapu Island - right beside and I mean right beside Rangitoto is also very nice. But both are really day trips.

Theres also the sky tower but imo going to the top of Mt Eden is just as good a view. Cornwall Park/One Tree Hill is another place for good views and if you walk around One Tree Hill you can see both coastlines. I often walk our dog around there. Theres a nice cafe and ice cream place if you have children and the lambs are aplenty at the moment. Theres also a playground on the One Tree Hill side of the park.

Then theres Devonport, the tunnels at North Head and the North Auckland beaches. Kelly Tarltons, the Zoo, the nitelife i.e. Ice Bar, Viaduct Basin bars, K Rd although not as wild as it used to be and of course Aotea Square.

Fish Places - Pupuke Aquariums, Hollywoods are the two I would recommend. Just remember though it can take a long time to do a short distance in the Auckland Traffic.

We did Rangitoto in an afternoon, caught the 12 ferry over and the 5pm one back, its a nice hike to the summit but if you've got kids or aren't too fit it would probably be better to leave it. The devonport ferry would be fun for the ride, you could have a coffee in devonport and the catch it back again.

I agree about Cornwall park (if its a nice day!), I have many fond childhood memories of picknicks, walks and the playground (which probably by now has had most of the fun safety'd out of it by osh).

Another fun thing to do with kids is the high ropes course at Woodhill forrest. http://www.treeadventures.co.nz/

The out of towners usually mock it, but I think they're just jealous that there's so much to do. :lol:

Forget the Sky tower(hold middle finger up against setting sun..looks the same!) go to Tiritiri Matangi Is. instead. IMO

There used to be a Wildlife park at Ti Point, Leigh. Someone may know if it is still going, was very good value. Also just up the road a bit from there is Goat Island Marine Reserve , Takatu Pt has some beautiful Beaches and rocks....4 days isn't enough!!

Book a summer at Coromandel......forget Auck. central!

Tiri Tiri is great... forgot about that but go for lunch or dinner at the sky tower... foods good but to sit there and watch the views from the Great Barrier Island to the Manukau harbour is great. I take people there every time that havnt been up there before

Forget the Sky tower(hold middle finger up against setting sun..looks the same!) go to Tiritiri Matangi Is. instead. IMO

There used to be a Wildlife park at Ti Point, Leigh. Someone may know if it is still going, was very good value. Also just up the road a bit from there is Goat Island Marine Reserve , Takatu Pt has some beautiful Beaches and rocks....4 days isn't enough!!

Book a summer at Coromandel......forget Auck. central!

Tiritiri is a must! I went there on Friday for a uni trip, was absolutely stunning