Rental properties and fish

lmsmith

I will be going flatting next year and will be living in a rented house. I have 7 fish tanks at the moment, and will be taking them all with me. I was wondering if anyone knows what landlords think about fish tanks - are they concerned that they will make the house damp or anything?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I have kept fish and been a landlord,I would never rent a house to a fishkeeper?and as for your one or two drops of water on the carpet???yeah right!

Aren't you just a bundle of positive fluff....

:lol:

My landlord doesn't mind the tanks so would definitely depend on the person.

My only advice is find somewhere you can stay for ages because lugging around fish tanks if you end up moving flats often gets old fast.

Oh, and also live with people you trust because there are people who get drunk and decide to see what fish do when they are drunk :evil: among other 'nice' experiments.

a lot of landlords will have no idea of ane of the stuff we know that can go wrong with tanks think of them as the general public in the petshop who have kept a goldfish in a bowl and had it die a week later and marvel at tropical tanks wishing they had the knowledge to keep them

I think as long as you talk to the landlord about it, things should be ok. Every landlord I have had has accepted that we have fishtanks. The current landlord didn't even mind us setting up 14 tanks in the shared garage. The power and water is paid by him but he said it was ok as we offered to pay $10 per week extra than what they asked. We also have a small tank inside too. I guess it depends on the sort of property you are moving into too. Our one, they dont really mind as the carpet is stuffed anyways.

Thanks for you replies everyone. The tanks range from 50l breeders to 250l, and I think I'll just have to take everyone's advice and talk to the landlords. I will be flatting with other people who are all fine with me having tanks and paying more for power. I figure the few fish I sell can pay for extra power!

I have kept fish and been a landlord,I would never rent a house to a fishkeeper?and as for your one or two drops of water on the carpet???yeah right!

Apart from the odd accident, yeah thats about it. Its only water, its a lot less damaging than a cat/dog/kid pissing on the carpet...

reminds me of a fishkeeper friend of mine.You all know the story,starts with one tank then the guppy has babies ,another species another tank,etc etc.the spare room has 99% humidity....he gets the hard word from his mrs to build a fishroom and get all those tanks out of the house when she finds toadstool like fungi growing out of the carpet??

My only advice is find somewhere you can stay for ages because lugging around fish tanks if you end up moving flats often gets old fast.

too true! ive moved my 4ft about six times this year... not reccomended lmao at least now i got a place where im on the tenancy agreement so i dont get kicked out if things happen, i get to do the kicking!! woop woop :wink:

and also every flat ive moved into ive always been straightup about the tank and the costs etc and made sure that everyone understands how to not bang the glass or try intoxicate my fish with bong water... and ive never really had a problem.

I second the "talk to the landlord" advice.

Also just general responsible fish-keeping practices - keep the tank covered to keep the humidity inside the tank instead of in the wallpaper! Make sure the floor is strong enough to hold the weight of the tank (put the big ones near a structural wall).

I had one landlord who specified that I could only keep "one small fish tank" on the lease agreement. At the time I only had one tank that was about 900 mm long. He was happy with that, although non-fishkeepers often have a very different idea about "small" for a fish tank.

Thanks guys.

The people I'm going to be living with aren't really big party people, and know better than to mess with my stuff (and I've always got the threat of putting any fish they kill in their beds! :evil: ). They're all pretty responsible, so I'm not worried about them doing anything stupid to the fish.

Most of the tanks will be in a spare room anyway, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I was planning on getting a 1 or 2 yr lease anyway - I hate moving so much, and moving tanks is even worse!! Although, I'm not sure how I'm going to go moving over 1000 fish! Especially babies!

It's so tempting to buy more tanks, get them set up in the new place, move the fish over, then move the old tanks to the new place - and get more fish!! :lol:

It's so tempting to buy more tanks, get them set up in the new place, move the fish over, then move the old tanks to the new place - and get more fish!! :lol:

That would probably be easier! Moving tanks is a pain in the proverbial!!..Not looking forward to movin the 7 I have managed to accumulate in my current place next time ( I plan to move in a few months :-? )