L102 - Snowball plec

ilah

OK I know i have tried this before but i guess it is worth trying again,

I have a large female L102 and would really like to know if anyone knows of a male as i would really like to see this fish paired up. I know there are not many in the country and it would be a shame to lose such a nice hypan especially with the availability of plecs in general in NZ

Any help would be appreciated, cheers :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Keep hold and ilah, she's got abit of time up her sleeve, hopefully another one that were around 3-4 yrs ago might show up.

Rcon - are you there?- pretty sure he had a couple he swapped for some L270's about 3 yrs ago.

Hopefully you find one, otherwise the breeding back option might come into play.

Thanks for posting that dixon

If i could find a male, even if it takes a while, it would save a whole lot of trouble with the breeding back option but i guess i will just have to see what happens.

L066 ya reckon firenzenz, the F1's could look very strange/cool haha

I agree

The breeding back option is a 10 yr minumum project, and A last resource to conserve a species here. because no male becomes available.

I hope predictions of readily available Hypans in the future bear fruit, it would suit me fine.

Ilah- yeah I'd be looking at L066 mainly because they seem more similar in bodyshape to L102 than others but more research could suggest another. L270, and L333 all here in numbers now and L260 with males.

Since you've been waiting so long looking for a male surely it would make sense to start the breeding back process just incase something happens to your female before you find a male?

I'd keep looking for a male L102, but in the meantime breed her to whatever L# the experts say, just so that if something happens to her we dont lose the species completely

As soon as a male was found then the breeding back could be given up if you got pure offspring

Just my opinion

Kinda sad coz i think the hypans are some of the best plecs available because they dont get too big and you atleast have a fair shot if you try to breed them compared to many other fancy plecs

I'm not too keen on the whole breeding back thing coz the plecs produced would never be pure and i dont see the point just to keep the 'species' available in New Zealand (this is probably a whole new thread on its own).

Seeming as it has been this long I might aswell keep waiting

• 5 months later...

they are not band by maf yet as the goldfish bowl in Hamilton just got two in last week. they sold in like the first day however but he could prob get some more in. expensive guys tho... how large is your one because the ones in the store were not very small... perhaps 12cm+.

obviously not breeding size I guess