Builders

Charlie

just as an aside have you looked at 2nd hand cool stores or an insulated container

IMO this would be a good idea - I think this is what wonderworld use for their quarantine facility and it is transportable - maybe an easy way for another importer to expand their facilities as it would be modular.

It would also mean that if the proposed importing business did not meet expectations then the container could more easily be on sold to somebody else - since it wouldn't be a building on a property.

Logically, to me, the container shouldn't attract any interest from the council since it is not a building but a movable container (makes sense to me!!) so could be a cheaper path to take.

Councils take different views on containers both under the Building Code and District Plan so often you cannot just dump it there. It is not unreasonable to class it as a relocated building if that is what it is being used for. You can say that if you use it as a building it is a building. As well as that a quarantine facility needs to be approved by Maf (who require the approval of the District and Regional Council)

I'd use H3.1 treated timber (usually used for outdoor stuff like decks) to be on the safe side. I wouldn't use kiln dried LOSP treated (H1.2 or H3.2) timber for in a damp humid environment like a fish room.

H3.1 is LOSP treated, its the H3.2 that's usually used for outdoor stuff like decks

I was just wondering, becasue someone wrote that they are used my another facility. Will ring on Tuesday to check. Will re-read the MAF's website to check.

Yup like I posted before, that is what Wonderworld in Rotorua are using for their marine quarantine facilities.

I do not know what modification work is required to meet the MAF standards but Harold told me on friday that they had passed with flying colours what I understood to be an annual check by MAF.

Sound like your dad can probably help you out in regards to the council requirements.

Your septic tank size is determined by the potential occupancy of the dwelling it is serving and will not cope with added loading from fish tanks and water treated with chlorine to Maf requirements. You may need a discharge consent from the Regional Council as well as a seperately designed disposal system.

When I was importing the Chlorine treatment required was 50ppm for 48 hours. You can neutralize the chlorine with sodium thiosulphate but that does not get you around the volume of water problem. A septic tank size is determined to give a 48 hour retention so increased volumes will simply flush the solids and destroy the disposal system. Using Sodium thiosulphate to neutralize the chlorine will also cause another problem called salinification which also destroys the effluent disposal system. There is a section in the building code which explains that. As I mentioned earlier you should discuss these issues with Maf and your Local and Regional Councils because the issues will be different in each location as the circumstances will be different.