Brine shrimp help

sparrowmayhem

Or if you are a n00b like me they could have hatched and you have no idea :oops: :oops:

I made an attempt to hatch them and they were bubbling away for days, my partner was saying to me what are you doing with that lol and I threw it away cos I couldn't see any little shrimps

little did I know the little orange bits in the bottom were the brine shrimp :oops: :oops:

I was too embarrassed to tell any one :oops:

they are a waste of time to be honest

How much are you wanting to hatch and do you have a spare airline?

Send me your email (PM) and I will send you they way I do it...

Ideally, you would want the temp to be 26 or a little higher.I hatch mine at about 24 because that suits my system. I feed BBS twice a day 7 days a week

OMG - that's what the orange things were??? I've never been able to hatch them either - well, maybe I have! I thought they'd look like sea monkies...

They do, because sea monkies are brine shrimp. But they start off really tiny. After you turn off the airation and let it sit for a bit, put a light on one side of the container and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. You'll notice there are a few tiny orange eggs floating around and a few tinier paler orange little things vibrating around in the water. Those are baby brine shrimp.

They do grow bigger, up to like half an inch or something, but it takes a couple weeks.

When they hatch (and are orange because of the yolk sack) they are at the best for food value. At that stage they are nuplii with no usefull parts like a mouth or anus. They feed on the yolk sack over the next 24 hours and become baby brine shrimp with all the useful parts. They are the best food value therefore as soon as they hatch. I find the best way is the old coke bottle trick.

Or if you are a n00b like me they could have hatched and you have no idea :oops: :oops:

I made an attempt to hatch them and they were bubbling away for days, my partner was saying to me what are you doing with that lol and I threw it away cos I couldn't see any little shrimps

little did I know the little orange bits in the bottom were the brine shrimp :oops: :oops:

I was too embarrassed to tell any one :oops:

Thank you for not laughing at me :oops:

Hopefully if some one can learn from my stupidity, the embarrassment will have been worth it lol

Bedazzled

BBS is a great food for fry and indeed for most small fish.

As I mentioned, I hach it out twice a day and feed it to at least half my tanks that Im breeding from.

There are places to buy the eggs from about $60 or $70 per tin and a tin last all my tanks well over 6months so its at a cost of maybe 20cents a day. With also feeding white worms and Micro worms and other live foods when I can get them. my weekly food bill is probably $2 to $3 per week and thats for 47 tanks... now that has to be cheap eh

Bedazzled

BBS is a great food for fry and indeed for most small fish.

As I mentioned, I hach it out twice a day and feed it to at least half my tanks that Im breeding from.

There are places to buy the eggs from about $60 or $70 per tin and a tin last all my tanks well over 6months so its at a cost of maybe 20cents a day. With also feeding white worms and Micro worms and other live foods when I can get them. my weekly food bill is probably $2 to $3 per week and thats for 47 tanks... now that has to be cheap eh

Holy heck!!!!

That makes great economic sense :)

Might have to give it another go I think.

I have been feeding the micros to my fry and they love it :D

cool, My partner is going to think I have really gone doolally if I tell him I want to buy fruit flies :lol: :lol:

Might try the BBS again first and see how that goes and then broach the subject of the fruit flies lol

The look on his face when I said I had been sent microworms through the mail was PRICELESS!!!