August 28, 200818 yr comment_259973 I have a tank (150 liters) that I want to get a pair or two kuda seahorses, or depending on what species are available at the time. I want to make my own LR because I have a vision and cant find the correct piece, the i will seed the dead rock with LR. Has anyone done this or have any links to this??? Report
August 28, 200818 yr comment_259984 Pardon? What you want is to get your dead rock as you can it and add some live rock to speed up the cycling process. Do some reading on the net- there is heaps of info on there. Report
August 28, 200818 yr comment_259994 can help with some live rock maybe use aqua knead it to create what you want for your vision Report
August 28, 200818 yr comment_260061 Yes you can make your own rock, there are a couple of guys in NZ that have done it and plenty of info on the web if you do a search. The biggest problem is the extra time it takes, you have to let the rock you made set and leach out, before you can start to cure it and make it into live rock. I've never done it but I'm guessing you would be looking at 6 months before you have good cured rock and can add your seahorses Report
August 28, 200818 yr comment_260065 1 part cement, 2 parts aragonite(calcite?) sand, and a variation between 2-3 parts salt(large grain type). Thats according to this site (good Diy site by the way). The reason behind the "2-3 parts salt" in variation to that site is that I've read on a few forums that using 3 parts salt tends to make the rock weaker and prone to crumbling. DIY rock can make things cheaper if you have a couple months before its put to use, but if you want a set-up slightly quicker buying dead rock would be better. Using liverock of course is even quicker. Report
August 28, 200818 yr comment_260097 from memory it took longer than 6-8 weeks to stop leaching salt.... (at least on his first attempt/) Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.