AROWANA

I do hope you are just pulling our leg.

Silver dollars need about 100 more litres than you have - each.

Rainbow sharks are territorial and will not tolerate another of the same species in their tank. They need about 200L.

2 bristlenoses would be good in a small tank like yours.

Your red spot pleco is, I assume, a Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps . These grow up to 50cm and also need 250L or more.

The only fishes in your list suitable for your tank size are a couple of the bristlenoses, the loach and and pantodon.

Algae is going to be the least of your problems. Please rehome the majority ASAP, or buy a much larger tank.

Not really funny man, this is why people leave the forums or dont join.

Maybe there is better ways to explain things to people?

Lucid

Agreed, right from the first reply this member was attacked (and by 3 members in a row!!). A completely different approach could have helped AROWANA instead of making sure he/she doesn't bother to visit these forums again. This is happening all too regularly here. Instead of constructive criticism worded nicely we just get criticism that comes across as an attack.

Come on people - this is supposed to be a friendly place where we help each other. So, lets try to help in the future and not put people off.

AROWANA - I hope you give this place another chance, don't let the few who've responded poorly scare you away. Hopefully this won't happen again although I suspect it will take some effort to ensure it doesn't.

Agreed, right from the first reply this member was attacked (and by 3 members in a row!!). A completely different approach could have helped AROWANA instead of making sure he/she doesn't bother to visit these forums again. This is happening all too regularly here. Instead of constructive criticism worded nicely we just get criticism that comes across as an attack.

Come on people - this is supposed to be a friendly place where we help each other. So, lets try to help in the future and not put people off.

AROWANA - I hope you give this place another chance, don't let the few who've responded poorly scare you away. Hopefully this won't happen again although I suspect it will take some effort to ensure it doesn't.

Exactly, thanks Warren.

Lucid

I do not consider my reply an attack. I was concerned for the fish. This person appeared to have done no research before buying animals totally dependent on that person for their life - which wasn't going to be a very long one I don't think.

I explained why their choice was unsuitable for their tank and was prepared to give further advice once they explained the circumstances more fully. There were still too many for the tank mentioned, even if they were small, especially for a tank newly set up.

A person should research their animal's requirements fully before purchasing any sort of pet. "It's just a fish so who cares" is too common these days.

Response 1:

It's the way it was done :roll: - see my reply is negative.

Response 2:

It's ok to be concerned for the fish but the response could have been worded better so the member did not feel as if they were being attacked or belittled :D - this response is much more positive, see the difference...

Well, whatever you think you meant, it was at least partially responsible for making the member edit their posts and probably never come back to this site again. Just think a bit about posting before alienating people. Some people genuinely don't know and others don't put enough detail in their posts. Both are no reason to create responses like these...

Oh jesus. I can't see that Caryl could have said "all those fish are too big for that tank" in any other way, and it's not like I was calling her/him a jerk. I just thought that from the fact they've posted quite a bit that they had to be pulling our leg - a joke, an actual, literal joke. I'm having a really terrible day and this really upsets me: this is the only forum out of the 3 I frequent where I have never, ever been able to feel part of a community. Which upsets me because there are some really cool people on here and some amazing set ups. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way, but it seems that unless you're part of a small group of people no one really feels the need to talk to you, and I don't exactly appreciate being blamed for someone running away from a bunch of frankly innocuous posts.

I do not like to bully people asking questions, and I am totally confused by this thread because the op seemed unfazed at first then randomly disappeared. I'm going to post this rant, even though I feel embarrassed admitting to being upset. Whatever.

I do hope you are just pulling our leg.

Silver dollars need about 100 more litres than you have - each.

Rainbow sharks are territorial and will not tolerate another of the same species in their tank. They need about 200L.

2 bristlenoses would be good in a small tank like yours.

Your red spot pleco is, I assume, a Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps . These grow up to 50cm and also need 250L or more.

The only fishes in your list suitable for your tank size are a couple of the bristlenoses, the loach and and pantodon.

Algae is going to be the least of your problems. Please rehome the majority ASAP, or buy a much larger tank.

Ok, it seems I need to spell it out for you. Here's how I would have written it:

I'm assuming you are new to fishkeeping. Here's a little advice given the fish and tank you currently have;

Firstly, most of the fish you have will grow too big for the tank. I'd suggest re-homing some of them or preparing a larger tank so they can be moved as they grow. Example: Silver dollars typically need 100+ Litres each. Normally Rainbox sharks are aggressive towards each other. If you have young ones this may not show yet but be prepared for it if it does happen. The Redspot pleco will also grow very big and will need a bigger tank in the near future. The rest of your fish will be fine in this sized tank. I'd suggest you look at the possibility of rehoming some of these fish before attacking the aglae problem.

This gets exactly the same message across without looking and feeling like an attack to the original poster. If you can't see that then this is why you're feeling left-out so to speak. This is a very good place but recently the tone of many posts here has alienated many members. It is possible to help and give constructive criticism without giving offence. I know you didn't make the original post but your response shows you support it. Irrespective of how you feel or whether you think the thread is a joke, common decency still needs to prevail in a public forum.

How would you feel if it was you starting this thread, you were genuine and ended up with this response?