Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Nothobranchius Belly Slider

Featured Replies

I thought, I would never see this, but I have a 10 months old N. rachovii male "Belly Slider", and I have no idea why, but he is jumping along the bottom of his tank containing several males? :oops:

Just so you dont feel left out, I have a female Korthausae that decided she liked the bottom of the tank as well...

We had a Choc Australe male belly slider, he still tried to chase the females around.

Daughter thought he was neat...

whats a belly slider?

A fish that slides around on its belly - literally!

It cannot seem to raise itself off the bottom of the tank and swim around normally.

Killifish swim Olly eels slide/swim

With Nothos, there are some fry that are belly sliders and normally you cull them out.

There are all sorts of theorys on what causes it ranging from not being able to get to the surface soon enough to fill the swim bladder to low presure systems or rapidly changing presure.

There is a guy in South Africa that swears by the presure system and a few people put the peat/eggs into a bottle full of water in a large tank to hatch so the presure is maintained.

One of these years, I too may well try to see what makes a difference.... but not at the moment

  • Author

My theory for what it is worth!

I beleive it is an infection of the swim bladder, but I am sure there are people out there whom can ansver the problem better.

I have only ever had belly sliders with angels and it was always because the temperature was too low. I have never had it with nothos and have bred thousands of them. Never bred rachovi though and that is the one most people talk about belly sliders with. Had plenty of velvet with nothos though.

  • Author

I have never had Velvet in my Nothos, but this may come one day!

My Nothos get a small dose of Salt every day, when feeding Brine Schrimp, maybe this keeps the Velvet a bay?

I think that for adults you may well be correct ej... for fry, I belive its is something else... what, I have no idea.

If Alan has yet to have the pleasure of belly sliders, It must be time to send him some Nigripinnis eggs eh

They dont need salt at all and are peat divers... what do you think Alan?

Ive promised the next lot of peat to some friends but in just over a month??

  • Author

Alan and Barrie

I think, I have some Nigs peat, but have to see when I come home! :roll:

  • Author

Further to the "Belly Sliders"

I always use oxygen tablet when wetting peat. It was a tip I got from Jesper Thorup in Demark, because in the beginning breeding Nigs., I always got "Belly Sliders" In the last 3 hatchings of about 100+ no "Belly Sliders"

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.