Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

rooted bogwood

Featured Replies

I went down to the river to search for some wood for my tanks. There was tons to choose from.

This piece looked wicked so I got it.

IMG_1544c.jpg

I filled it with christmas moss and put it in my 60g tank.

IMG_1581c.jpg

Here is a shot including the peace lily plantlets growing out of my tank.

IMG_1582c.jpg

While I also picked up some bunches of this low plant for my goldfish.

IMG_1583c.jpg

There were a bunch of pools in depressions that were fed by seepage water. I spent ages looking at all the insect larvae swimming around. Some logs in the river were literally covered in millions of eggs. There were a bunch of 2" fishes in the pools and a few 6" ones too. Other than saying they were grey I have no idea what they were. The water was crystal clear. You could see all the way to the bottom in the deep pools which were about 6' deep I guess. I saw a couple of mid sized eels too.

  • Author
The first piece is awesome

Wish i could find some wood like that here!

Go walking along the river/streams around you looking closely at the corners and bends. A lot of pieces can be found under the banks often hidden by overhanging grass and margin plants. You will have to get wet ;)

wicked like the eye in lord of the rings

looks sweet with the moss love spiny driftwood for aquascapes fish swimming through it looks mint

Great looking driftwood, sure beats paying for them.

Love to be able to find some here too, trouble is i live near the sea...not fresh water!

Great looking driftwood, sure beats paying for them.

Love to be able to find some here too, trouble is i live near the sea...not fresh water!

Then you could get driftwood instead of bog wood.

  • Author
great peice of wood can you please tell me is christmas moss the same as willow moss?

From a search cross reference I think it is different, but there is nothing too concrete. Some sites list it as the same, some list it as different.

Xmas Moss <<

This Willow Moss is NOT what I have.

Virgil you will most likely be able to find some choice pieces near a river mouth on the beach. Wood which washes up as driftwood is washed clean in the salt water and bleached under the sun *usually*. It will just need to be weighted down which you can do by putting rocks on it in the tank, or putting rounded rocks in a nylon stocking and tying to the wood. This is what I did in the beginning for some of my driftwood from the beach. Just hid the black stocking with a plant.

...Just hid the black stocking with a plant.

Do the people where you buy your black stockings ever look at you funny?

And do you think 'fishnets' would work? :lol:

Do the people where you buy your black stockings ever look at you funny?

And do you think 'fishnets' would work? :lol:

We bought some for the work tank, and sent the boy to buy them!! Bit strange to have on a shopping list for a teenage male!!

The photos are brilliant by the way - great effect with the wood.

  • Author

Do the people where you buy your black stockings ever look at you funny?

And do you think 'fishnets' would work? :lol:

LMAO only the more mature ladies give you THAT look ;)

I find the anklet ones are the right size. They last about 7-8 months in my tank which was how long it took for the wood to be waterlogged.

The fishnets didn't last more than 3 week in my tank. The snails and acid water did them in.

Here you can see the centre piece anchored by two stones. They are not obtrusive at all.

4ft.jpg

Awesome looking pieces of wood there vinson.

I would have to say the west coast of the south island is probably the best place to find wood for tanks.

All the native hardwoods that wash down the rivers. :lol:

Up here its mainly pine and pungas that you find. :(

Oh , and i know the strange look you get when purchasing pantihose :oops: :oops: :oops:

I find its the young checkout girls that look at you sideways.

And for the record, I buy them to put peat in. Nothing else. :o

And for the record, I buy them to put peat in. Nothing else. :o

That's what they all say.

I love going to checkouts with odd product selections. Entertains my inner child.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.